What's unique about FLT/FLHTC large dash bagger models

Started by byoodah, April 10, 2009, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byoodah

Looking to pick up a shovel with the large speedo/dash and the one piece tank. I'm not a fan of that setup, and would want to change it. Is there unique hardware to these models- like frame or front end? Other than the gauges and wiring, is there other issues with putting on a set of split tanks with a tank dash speedo?
Any info would be appreciated.
Byoodah
Here's to the ones serving to keep me free, and to them no longer here with me.

Hybredhog

The early FLT /shovel bikes arepretty much a bastard child (exspecialy 1980), and there are damn few parts for frame & instument changing, your on your own for modifications.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Mule

Eric Buel designed the FLT rubber mount frame, It is the grand daddy of all later model Harley Touring models. Some stuff on the early Shovels will fit no other bike except another FLT, some parts are interchangable up until the nineties. The enclosed oil bath drive chain can be a bugger for those who don't understand it. They are good bikes ,and small numbers of them were made, alot have fell prey to the choppers axe. They are rare and should be kept in close to original configuration in my opinion. There are tons of cheap FLH, FL and FX Shovelhead models out there that will serve you better when it come to customizing , with a wider selection of aftermarket parts available.  Good luck...

Old Crow

April 11, 2009, 03:07:46 AM #3 Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:11:12 AM by Old Crow
The FLT frame has a big square backbone, and normal split tanks won't fit on it.  Not even sure if an FXR tank will fit the FLT.  Also has the reversed triple trees, with the neck in front of the tubes instead of behind it.  Also the battery is mounted outside the frame, on the guard bars for the right saddlebag, although I've seen one where the guy moved it to the inside, under the seat and just discarded the right side cover and painted the oil tank to match the rest of the bike.
You can find a headlight assembly to use with the dash pod so you can take the fairing off if you really want to.

They're a great bike to ride.  As you can see by my sig, I liked the first one so much I bought another(although the 2nd one's an evo, it's almost identicle to the shovel.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

easyricer

April 11, 2009, 05:10:39 AM #4 Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:13:50 AM by easyricer
Nah there ain't much you can do to these at all. LOL I took the one peice little tank and blew it out to 7 1/2 gallons, removed the fairing replaced it with a headlight nacelle from a police roadking and replaced the fenders with custom sumax fiberglass fenders. I used a handle bar mounted speedo.

EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Old Crow

Ricer:  I've been rebuilding my Shovel FLT for like the last year and a half.  It's to the point where I've got all the tin on, but not the fairing, so it looks a lot like yours.  I kinda like the look, as much as I do like the fairing.  Maybe I can find a nacelle off of an FLHS on ebay or something.
Damn,  here I go changing something again...that's why it's taken a year and a half.  ::) 
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

easyricer

LMAO Yeah I took the fairing off and sold it, the tourpack and a few other take offs to pay for all the other parts I had to order. The Nacelle was off a 94 Police roadking but you can use a chrome one from the standard roadking. The Guage pod and headlight bezzle are still available through V-twin I think. My brother has an 89 FLHS and has that stuff in chrome on his. The wind shield hardware is what's going to be hard to find if you want a shield in front of you.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

byoodah

All,
Thanks for the feedback. The one I'm looking at is (supposedly) bone stock, low miles, family owned since new, and at a decent price. I'm running an evo now, and only have so much room in the garage (and bulk in the wallet).  I've been more looking in to getting something I can minimize for a bar hopper.
Easy, you got the touch. That's a nice, unique looking ride. After looking at yours the initial thought of forgetting it due to the lack of customizing options is giving way to the challenge.
Thanks again to everybody.
byoodah
Here's to the ones serving to keep me free, and to them no longer here with me.

pappyfreebird

1980 lowerd two up front extended rear two n lowered one stretch tank ..(still have n fer sale)

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

pappyfreebird

04 tank on it here bar speedo again custom front end etc..she were one sweet shovel n she cacked like n insane freebird...cobra light bar fer i think a honda

pappyfreebird

bobbed flt i found once ..noice ride there fellas