Coyote Industries Bluetooth Audio Module... for cavemen.

Started by 76shuvlinoff, April 12, 2016, 06:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

I am one of those guys that never needed a radio on a bike, then I got one.
"I don't want no damn music on my phone!"..then after reading another thread here I downloaded Pandora.
Bluetoothed Pandora to my truck and started thinking about the bike again... ut oh.
So I ordered the BT-100M Bluetooth Audio Module from Coyote Industries and installed it on my 12 Ultra EG.

what's in the box

Take the provided alcohol swab, clean off a spot to stick it. After the alcohol dries.. peel the 3M tape and.. stick it.
This pic is from a little later in the install. The bright blue dot on the module is an LED indicating the power is on.

The module comes with these tapped connectors installed. Just disconnect the lines on the lighter (or the more politically correct "power outlet")
Push these onto the taps on the back of the lighter socket and reconnect the factory wiring.

Like this

Ran the wiring to the input port on the stereo face. You could choose any route you want as there is plenty of wire provided. I ran it thru the hole for the right hand bar zip-tied to the front brake line. There is also a port to plug in your handlebar GPS audio but my Tom Tom doesn't have that option.

and it looks like this

All in all it's probably less than an hour install. I got to playing with it before I buttoned it up so I murdered some time. Works great! The stereo has to be in Auxiliary mode and obviously the bluetooth has to be paired and turned "on" in the phone settings. Turn by turn voice directions from my phone map apps override the Pandora.  Nice!  I have not tested it for incoming calls while playing music and running GPS yet. Phone GPS instructions are muted while running regular radio stations.

Hoss must be eating himself alive!  :hyst:

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

preacher son

I just had a huge fight with Sirius and been turned off. Is Pandora like Sirius? Do you pay

So that little coyote toy could be moved from bike to truck to ATV to what ever?
FTW          I've had a good life

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: preacher son on April 12, 2016, 07:11:15 PM
I just had a huge fight with Sirius and been turned off. Is Pandora like Sirius? Do you pay

So that little coyote toy could be moved from bike to truck to ATV to what ever?

I've had the free Pandora for 3 days, still figuring it out. The free version has ads. You can upgrade for something like $4.99/month.. I think.

As far as what it works on, you'd have to talk to the manufacturer.  He isn't hard to find.   :wink:

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

SixShooter14

That's a good question..my truck radio has a couple input jacks.

I use the USB port with a flash drive that stays in the truck like a CD with several hundred songs.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

preacher son

Yep he's in the shed a lot looking for missing members  :crook:   :hyst:   does he finance, I mean I can get zero percent on a truck for seven years, this should be the same  :idunno:   :SM:

I would think you could hook up to any bluetooth. First I will look into Pandora.       Preacher Son

preacher son

Did you look into Spotify. A friend just told me to check it out. Like Pandora but only 10.00 a month, this coyote toy is going to take what ever you stream from phone.........I think  :scratch:  hey..........I bet we could figure a way fur you to stream Preacher Son singing in the shower, course that be only once a week  :emsad:   :hyst:

Why did you post this crap I was just getting use to radio again.  :cry:     :hyst:

Ohio HD

Preacher Son, if you don't have a way to use Blue Tooth, or your vehicle radio doesn't have auxiliary inputs, you can use an FM transmitter. I use one of these in my old 2006 Chevy truck. I use my iPhone to stream the Pandora.

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/portable-audio-players/NS-MA5FMT.html

preacher son

Truck is bluetooth radio and atv is not but has aux plug in. Don't need sounds on the bike, price I gave for my ride I just wanna listen to it.  :wink:

I got spoiled to Sirius and this radio stuff sucks.   I guess really all I'd need it for would be the atv and that's out there with no phone signal

76shuvlinoff

I will have to come up with a mount for the iPhone 6S. Possibly remove the Tom Tom but the on the other hand the TT is weathertite.

Like I said in the Pandora thread, streaming music is hell on the iPhone battery and I assume the consumption goes up more if you add GPS. I would have to keep the phone plugged in for extended usage. I am sure the data usage takes a healthy hit. The TT has no speaker and I don't believe it will Bluetooth to this unit.

I have only been playing in the barn. Just wanted to prove I could technologically move into this century so I could play 70's- 80's hard and southern rock.  :teeth:

QuoteI got spoiled to Sirius and this radio stuff sucks.

I know what you mean. My truck has XM (for now) and I love it. It also has it's own Pandora app but I let the onboard WIFI hot spot option expire.

This is just another method.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Sounds like your ready for the BOOM audio system on the new bikes, so you can have the big TV screen on the dash with your GPS, Pandora, phone, email, magazine subscriptions, and re runs of Andy Griffith.

preacher son

Quote from: Hossamania on April 13, 2016, 05:05:44 AM
Sounds like your ready for the BOOM audio system on the new bikes, so you can have the big TV screen on the dash with your GPS, Pandora, phone, email, magazine subscriptions, and re runs of Andy Griffith.

Wow, they got that  :idunno:   so now I can take my Dish off the back of bike.  :baby:   :hyst:

"Just wanted to prove I could technologically move into this century so I could play 70's- 80's hard and southern rock"
            Soooooooooo, you movin into the future so you can listen to the past.  :scratch:   :hyst:    get a eight track  :hyst:

Hossamania

Quote from: preacher son on April 13, 2016, 06:14:08 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on April 13, 2016, 05:05:44 AM

Wow, they got that  :idunno:   so now I can take my Dish off the back of bike.  :baby:   :hyst:

"Just wanted to prove I could technologically move into this century so I could play 70's- 80's hard and southern rock"
            Soooooooooo, you movin into the future so you can listen to the past.  :scratch:   :hyst:    get a eight track  :hyst:

Damn, that eight track comment made me laugh!

Ohio HD

Get one of these Preacher Son....             :wink:

[attach=0]

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I've been looking for just such an animal.

What does the Audio Sound Like?
Distortion?
Volume Okay?

I emailed them and asked for some additional specs and they sent me some I have yet to review.

I have a 00 Ultra with 157,000 miles with SAT as well. Maybe I can get rid of most of this stuff and just use my phone now.  :baby:

Started with Ear Buds in the 90's, My original GPS was the Sun, then Maps, now a Garmin. 
Tom

76shuvlinoff

QuoteSounds like your ready for the BOOM audio system on the new bikes, so you can have the big TV screen on the dash with your GPS, Pandora, phone, email, magazine subscriptions, and re runs of Andy Griffith.

Does it come with two extra wheels, wet bar, and a driver?

Quoteget a eight track  :hyst:

I always tell people the 8 track on my shovel is busted.

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on April 13, 2016, 08:05:43 AM
I've been looking for just such an animal.

What does the Audio Sound Like?
Distortion?
Volume Okay?

I emailed them and asked for some additional specs and they sent me some I have yet to review.

I have a 00 Ultra with 157,000 miles with SAT as well. Maybe I can get rid of most of this stuff and just use my phone now.  :baby:

Started with Ear Buds in the 90's, My original GPS was the Sun, then Maps, now a Garmin. 

I get a very little bit of crackle and pop with no music playing, very little but I think that might have something to do with the fluorescent lights in the barn.  Regardless, I don't hear it when the music is playing. I did notice I have to turn the volume up from the settings I use for regular FM but I have to do the same thing in my truck. When I turn off the Pandora in the truck and go back to FM or XM it'll surprise the hell out you, wondering if that's an iPhone thing? 

As far as sound quality it's sounds pretty much like I'm running a quality FM station or CD. Probably as good as a 2012 factory stock system is going to sound.

I did walk 40 feet away (still inside the barn) and it did not lose the signal.

Mark

- Ernest Hemingway

Coyote

Mark, the Bluetooth transport has an AGC (automatic gain control) function that will ratchet up when no music is playing. This makes some low level residual digital background noise more noticeable. As soon as music starts, the AGC dials the gain back and the noise is gone. As you mentioned, you can not hear it in normal operation, only in a quiet garage with no audio streaming.

I just picked up the new Garmin Zumo 595LM for the touring pig. It does the exact same thing.

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I thought I would post what my experiences were regarding this product.

I installed this on a:

2000 FLHTCU/I with a Hog Tunes Kit: 200 watt (400 Peak) 2 channel Class D amp, Gen 3 5.25" 2 Ohm Front and Rear speakers, HF 1 tweeter pod

Pro's

1. The device is of quality construction.
2. Size allows it to mounted neatly out of the way.
3. Once setup it pairs and connects flawlessly to an Android Based Unit

Con's

There IS background noise on the Ultra using both the Amp and Amp removed. I checked radio grounds and such and all seem to be adequate.

Resolution: I installed a Background Noise Limiter ($19) and there seems to be no more noise.

Final Rating: For $99 it is what one would expect, or perhaps a bit less quality. Final Cost was $129 when all was sais and done. 

3.5 out of 5 Stars
Tom