April 27, 2024, 10:31:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Radio cuts out

Started by 05fatboy95, April 17, 2016, 08:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05fatboy95

So new bike to me last fall, all was great. 2013 street glide. It has a Rockford fosgate amp and speaker combo I believe...

But the issue is when I accelerate the radio is cutting out. It started with only full throttle cut outs to now it cuts out every time I accelerate unless the volume is decently low.

Could it be a gain setting in the amp? I haven't pulled the fairing yet but I will soon but I just wanted to check with you guys first.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UltraNutZ

define cutting out please.

are you losing all power to the radio as in the display goes out?

or

are you losing audio only but the radio is staying powered up?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

05fatboy95

Losing just the sound, radio does stay on. I should have been more clear in that. Thanks Ultra

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 18, 2016, 03:38:14 AM
define cutting out please.

are you losing all power to the radio as in the display goes out?

or

are you losing audio only but the radio is staying powered up?
Just the sound

UltraNutZ

1st test should be the amp.  Simply unplug the speakers from the amp and connect them directly to the radio.  If that produces the same result then you have a bad head unit and you'll need to contact Tony over at Iron Cross Audio to get it repaired.

05fatboy95

Sounds good will do it tonight

05fatboy95

Amp and speakers are almost a year old now.....

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 18, 2016, 09:26:21 AM
1st test should be the amp.  Simply unplug the speakers from the amp and connect them directly to the radio.  If that produces the same result then you have a bad head unit and you'll need to contact Tony over at Iron Cross Audio to get it repaired.

I'm just about to go try this but I wanted to add more detail, the sound cuts out like a CD skipping once the volume is raised above 3 bars in stock radio.... It sounds quiet and crappy compared to normal. Acceleration doesn't factor into it cutting out as it will do it sitting in my garage. Going to pull fairing now and take a look. Thanks again for your help.

05fatboy95

Also doesn't matter if it's cd radio or on my iPod.

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 18, 2016, 09:26:21 AM
I did the test and it work just fine when i take the amp out of the mix.

Does that mean the amp is shot or is there a setting I can change? Any other thoughts to test

05fatboy95

So, now I check with volt and ohm meter and i only had 10volts coming  to the amp. Took apart main fuse by Battery tested it 12 before and 12 after. Re assembled and now 12volts at amp. All works well now sitting in garage.....

05fatboy95

I put it all back together and all Seems to be well, but it still cuts out when volume gets cranked up... I think that's is the gain on the amp set to high??????

UltraNutZ

what specific model amp and what specific model speakers please?

sorry for the delay, a tad-bit water-logged down here.

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 19, 2016, 04:19:40 AM
what specific model amp and what specific model speakers please?

sorry for the delay, a tad-bit water-logged down here.
I will look when I get home but here are some pics that may help.

05fatboy95

The system sounds great when riding and working properly. I don't know how good a system it really is just that it's way better then stock

UltraNutZ

could be a speaker failing too but let's focus on amp for now.

Stock head unit?  if so, with the fairing off and the amp all connected, take a look at the BRT light.  if it's turning red as the sound cuts off, then the amp is clipping.   that could be for a number of reasons though ranging from a bad speaker, to bad speaker wire, to bad power wire, to bad ground wire.

To test speakers, then crank it up til it clips and unplug one speaker and see if it stops, if not, then plug it back in and unplug the other speaker to see if it stops, if not then plug it back in and move onto the next items to check which will be the ground and power circuits.

If by chance unplugging a speaker makes the amp stop clipping then you know you've either got a bad speaker, or a bad speaker wire.  at which point you want to replace the speaker wire and test again. if the problems persists, then you have a bad speaker.

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 19, 2016, 01:28:53 PM
could be a speaker failing too but let's focus on amp for now.

Stock head unit?  if so, with the fairing off and the amp all connected, take a look at the BRT light.  if it's turning red as the sound cuts off, then the amp is clipping.   that could be for a number of reasons though ranging from a bad speaker, to bad speaker wire, to bad power wire, to bad ground wire.

To test speakers, then crank it up til it clips and unplug one speaker and see if it stops, if not, then plug it back in and unplug the other speaker to see if it stops, if not then plug it back in and move onto the next items to check which will be the ground and power circuits.

If by chance unplugging a speaker makes the amp stop clipping then you know you've either got a bad speaker, or a bad speaker wire.  at which point you want to replace the speaker wire and test again. if the problems persists, then you have a bad speaker.
So I did the speaker test yesturday and it had no affect. I will check out the other stuff tonight.....

The volume has to be super high for it to cut out......

05fatboy95

And yes the stock head unit.

Thanks for all your help!

05fatboy95

There is two adjustment knobs and a adjustable switch on the amp that I remember seeing, one was gain, one was MHz?!!! And the other had 3 options to toggle between. Just trying to add as much detail and info for you as possible

05fatboy95

Also... When the sound cut out I still have 12volts at the amp.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: 05fatboy95 on April 19, 2016, 01:43:06 PM
There is two adjustment knobs and a adjustable switch on the amp that I remember seeing, one was gain, one was MHz?!!! And the other had 3 options to toggle between. Just trying to add as much detail and info for you as possible
you have 1 gains, 1 for crossover frequency, and then another for voltage adjust.  Don't fool with the voltage adjust.  The crossover frequency you can also set the switch to HP, then adjust it to about 250 and see if that helps.  Might just be the speaker not being able to handle it.

Quote from: 05fatboy95 on April 19, 2016, 02:02:38 PM

need to find out what the BRT light is doing when this happens.  If it's clipping it will be blinking red.

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 19, 2016, 02:47:52 PM
you have 1 gains, 1 for crossover frequency, and then another for voltage adjust.  Don't fool with the voltage adjust.  The crossover frequency you can also set the switch to HP, then adjust it to about 250 and see if that helps.  Might just be the speaker not being able to handle it.

need to find out what the BRT light is doing when this happens.  If it's clipping it will be blinking red.
Will do!

So in all reality how much better would a bt2180 and 7.1 sounds vs what I have now when all working properly?

UltraNutZ

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 19, 2016, 03:59:24 PM
Apples and oranges bud.
Killing me....... I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on the BT setup.....

05fatboy95

Quote from: UltraNutZ on April 19, 2016, 02:47:52 PM

The amp is a pbr300x2. The BRT light is off when sounds cuts outs....