April 30, 2024, 05:19:13 PM

News:

adding driving lights

Started by trashman219, April 10, 2009, 03:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trashman219

been thinking of adding driving lights to my 82 fxwg,living in the country and working third shift i would like a little nite time help.at wal mart last nite and they have a set of 2 1/2 chrome bullet 50 watt each driving lights that look like they would fit and look perfect on my scooter,only 15 bucks as opposed to almost 100 for kuryakn bullets,my concern is would 100 watt total be too much strain on my charging system,stock 22 amp.any thoughts?

stroker800

I run a set of projector type driving lights55 watts,,on a shovel with a 17 amp charge system,,but a stripped down bobber..I only have a headlight and tailight and the spots..works fine
Dave

76shuvlinoff

Should be ok on the charging system just be careful how you wire em in. I'd give them their own circuit not added to the lighting circuit.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

yeup should be good ..i run cobra ditch lights on my ol fxs n high beam on main ,,all time n nevar n issue...sometimes my blinkar gits slow ,,,but ony ifn been in lotsa traffic,,cause holdin me fuggan arm out there is tireun ya dig !!! wahahahaha

trashman219

i planned on running seperate circuit with relay,as usual thanks for the help guys

MMOCGuy

trashman.

At 50W each, you are only adding additional draw of about 8.5 amps. If you don't have a lot of other electrical beeps and whistles going at the same time, your alternator should handle them.

As you said you were going to do, run a separate circuit from you main circuit breaker or main switch for them and run them through their own circuit breaker or fuse.

Hope this helps.

Norm.