May 07, 2024, 05:15:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wheel weight adhesive

Started by 03deuce, April 10, 2009, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03deuce

I've got a couple rear wheel stick on weights that have moved enough that I would like to remove them and re-glue in the original location.  What can I use for an adhesive?  Will a regular clear adhesive caulk have enough holding power? or can you recommend something better?  Wheel is a stock deuce rear wheel.

WVULTRA

03:

I went through a similar situation with the Ultra loosing rear wheel weights.  Switched to DynaBeads, and I'll never use another stick-on weight!!

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

IMO, they work perfectly at all speeds in motorcycles!

:up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

eglideic

Now come on. Dont you hear those Dyna bead bouncing around in there?
Wouldn't it drive you nuts?

ThumperDeuce

I can't keep weights on my rear wheel.  Dynabeads are going in next week.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: eglideic on April 10, 2009, 04:29:28 PM
Now come on. Dont you hear those Dyna bead bouncing around in there?
Wouldn't it drive you nuts?

Nope... I can only hear them when I have the bike up on a jack to clean the wheels.  If I move the wheel, I hear the beads roll to the bottom.  Sounds like a little bit of sand in the tire.  You'd never be able to hear them above the motor noise.  I've heard mouse farts make more noise.   :teeth:

-Craig

03deuce

I might try the Dyna beads at a later date, but right now I'd just like to re-glue them.  Any suggestions?  thanks

Ken R

Thin double-sided tape.  The substrate is only about as think as a dime. 

Just balanced my front wheel today.  I use laquer thinner to get the residue off the weight and clean the wheel surface for re-application. 

I've removed and replaced stick-on wheel weights many times.  They have never come off unintentionally.

I don't know where I got the double-sided tape . . .probably from Home Depot.  It's old, but still good.   I'll bet it's available from lots of places.    When the wheel spins, it pushes the tape harder against the wheel. 

Ken

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: 03deuce on April 10, 2009, 08:13:31 PM
I might try the Dyna beads at a later date, but right now I'd just like to re-glue them.  Any suggestions?  thanks

Try the black RTV.  That stuff is an amazing adhesive.  Just a little bit on the back of the weight.  Wipe off the excess.  It should clean up easy for re-application too.

L-

Right.  Guy taught me a trick on this stuff.  It sticks pretty darn good and it cleans up great.  You could also try something like Monkey Grip that is used to hold your grips on or some of the leather cements as it cleans up well also.

L-

wayne clev.

Home Depot or Lowe's both have the double sided carpet tape.  I used it for years until DynaBeads were discovered.

nc-renegade

I've thrown several wheel weights.  I now put a layer of clear RTV silicone on the weights after balancing.  Not much, just enought to seal around the edges of the weights.  No problem since I've started doing this.

I've used the beads in the past.  Hard to get into the tire and the tire changer gets a little pissed if you don't let him know about the beads.  They go everywhere when you dismount the tire.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

03deuce

thanks guys.  will get it fixed today.