May 08, 2024, 01:49:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Solenoid Starter Switch

Started by 1997 fxstc, April 22, 2016, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1997 fxstc

Does/Has anyone used a solenoid starter button on their bikes?  I never have but after having a starter problem last year I was debating whether or not to install one. 

Lakerat

I have one on both my EVO's, works like a charm. Nice backup if you have ever experienced the dreaded click. Plus when I start my bikes cold, I use them to bypass all the crap in the thumb button circuit to get the full battery voltage to the starter.
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

FXRTexas

I have one on my 93 FXR and it has never let me down. Its great to have a back up for the handle bar switch.
:agree:
If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Wouldn't leave home without one. Otherwise I would have been stranded at least twice. I did use a screw driver once, shock the "F*&^" out of me in the rain
Tom

Mark222

Quote from: Lakerat on April 22, 2016, 02:46:17 PM
I have one on both my EVO's, works like a charm. Nice backup if you have ever experienced the dreaded click. Plus when I start my bikes cold, I use them to bypass all the crap in the thumb button circuit to get the full battery voltage to the starter.

:up:

Mark

farmall

Recommended. Instant troubleshooting bypass.

1997 fxstc

:koolaid1:Best $40 buck I ever spent.  Should of had them on previous bikes. 

DresserDan

I need one for my 1990FXR It has the other style starter and I haven't been able to find one that fits it.

SixShooter14

Just put the button on mine.

3 times in the last 2 weeks it wouldn't turn over. Just click and the N light would dim a little.

After a few minutes and leaning it on the stand it'd turn over and fire up fine.

Now, I have a back-up plan.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

89 fxrs

Quote from: DresserDan on April 30, 2016, 07:44:57 AM
I need one for my 1990FXR It has the other style starter and I haven't been able to find one that fits it.

I have a 1989 FXR and I was able to use a solenoid starter switch from a Spyke starter - fits and works perfectly
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

DresserDan

Where did you get it? Got a part number?

Evo160K

Works well, good "peace of mind".

Mikeg

I actually used mine today! Great addition, easy to install and a lifesaver when needed. 

Norton Commando

I installed a manual solenoid button on my '90 FLHS and it doesn't work worth a hoot.  When you reach down and push the button the engine starts alright, but the starter will not disengage from the ring gear once started.  It seems the button has too tight a fit in the housing, so it sticks in the pushed-in and energized position position.  Not good.
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.