May 01, 2024, 03:05:57 AM

News:

frontend stop

Started by oldster, April 11, 2009, 04:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldster

I've seen the internal frontend stops for sale, can these be used on a 67 frame, if so how do they work and are they easy to install, thanks

CraigArizona85248

You are talking about a fork cup kit with internal stops, right?  You should be able to use it with your '67 frame.  The way they work is by attaching a circular disk with slots cut in it to your bottom triple tree at the base of the stem.  There are usually two slots in the disk, one long, one shorter.  These slots control how far the forks can be turned.  Try the long slot first if your forks turn too far and hit the tank, flip the disk 180 degrees and use the short slot.  There is a tab on the bottom fork cup that engages the slot in the disk.  The tab is what keeps the forks from turning past a certain point.  Because the bottom cup is now used to stop your forks from turning, you don't want it twisting in the frame.  So it comes with a locating pin.  You drill a hole in the neck on your frame and slide the pin into the hole and the cup.  Locks it in place.

Arrow points to the locating pin.  The tab the engages the slot on the disk is circled.

Pynzo

These work really well and have an ultra clean appearance. Get a set that uses roll pins for anchoring, some sets need you to drill and tap the frame head for screws, making the cup hard to pull out later because you need to pull the bearing race to get to the screws. Roll pin setup you just tap the cup out like a regular one.

CraigArizona85248

Yep... that's a good tip about the roll pin.  You can see in the photo how the bearing race would keep me from removing the pin.  In this case the pin is a dowell type.  Also doesn't require you to remove the race in order to remove the cup.

-Craig

Pynzo

I have the dowel pin setup on my bottom plate- make sure all pins are below the plate surface as any too high will raise the lower bearing off of the machined surface. Who originated this internal setup anyway? Pure Genious!

oldster

thanks, now i understand, going to get started on it soon