April 27, 2024, 08:25:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best hidden antenna

Started by 89 fxrs, May 03, 2016, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

looking for some feed back on the best hidden antenna that goes in the fairing for a Road Glide
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

UltraNutZ

if you can find one of the older J&M units that are powered then grab it.  otherwise what HD offers is about as good as it gets which ain't saying much.

You can try any one of the aftermarket powered antennas but I've had very sporadic results with them and none of them any good.

Bottom line is if you value your FM signal or even AM for that matter, then stick with a mast type antenna.  Try an inexpensive mast antenna from walmart or the auto parts store layed internally across the top of the fairing.  I've done that with street glide antenna relocations and it worked out very well IMO.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

HD/Wrench

none is the correct answer...  Take the stock and lay in along the frame but really you need a real one.. Even the shorty ones work better than any hidden one I have tried..

UltraNutZ

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on May 16, 2016, 01:24:02 PM
none is the correct answer...  Take the stock and lay in along the frame but really you need a real one.. Even the shorty ones work better than any hidden one I have tried..

your correct answer.   :SM:
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

89 fxrs

Has anyone tried the Tune Trapper Antenna?  reviews were decent on E- Bay but would rather hear it from people that I trust - thanks FXRS                       
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

lilchief

Quote from: 89 fxrs on September 25, 2016, 08:41:55 AM
Has anyone tried the Tune Trapper Antenna?  reviews were decent on E- Bay but would rather hear it from people that I trust - thanks FXRS                       

I used one on my 02 FLHT when I had it. No complaints here. It worked well. I had it mounted under the fairing on top of the radio.
Lil Chief

Helmwurst

Don't waste your money... I tried all the tricks, hidden electric, had about a 10 mile range unless you went down a hill or around a corner, then it would loose reception, hidden stock under the seat, better than the 60$$ hidden, but same issues a little longer range. Went to Auto Zone, bought a 7$ rubber flexible short antenna, Works great, I even get the weather band (local). Now when I want to catch the local weather, or talk I can get it going down the road and I no longer have to wear safety glasses walking around the bike. I got tired of that stock antenna poking me in the face and eyes. The other bonus with the rubber shorty, I can run the luggage rack or tour pack and it just folds over and go right back to its normal profile later.

calif phil

They are all terrible.  I have used most every brand of a hidden antenna and had horrible results.   Reminds me of years ago I was looking a buying a Jaguar for the wife.  I called a friend who worked at the dealer and asked him. "What's a good Jaguar to buy"   He said they haven't made one yet. :hyst:

Glide17

Best hidden antenna is the stock antenna hidden under your frame and seat,only one that I have found that works