April 27, 2024, 03:02:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Manual ACR's to Auto ACR's, need demension info

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, May 05, 2016, 06:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I currently have manual compression releases in my heads.
I was looking for a way to adapt/use auto releases. Already tired of pushing them in every time I start the engine.
I found an adapter that threads into the current CR threaded hole and the ACR threads into that.
Might try to make them myself hence my upcoming question.
I can purchase the ACR"s and wire harness from HD so no issues there.
I have designed a solid state relay schematic using the GM 87 relay so the ACR's are triggered when the Crank/start button is pushed.
So what I am looking for is,
What is the dimensions of the ACR. Specifically the thread size, thread length, port hole diameter and dimension of the port hole center to end of threads. The diameter of the flange that the compression washer sits and its length.
Attached is a pic of one for sale but the cost is way too much so I will try to make my own.
[attach=0]
Member since 2004

Hybredhog

If you haven't read it yet, there is my thread over on the TC list labeled "S&S ACR". Anyways the HD ACR are a 12X1.25 X15mm threads, and are, the whole piece is approx. 2-1/4" long, 1-1/8" of that is thread & exhaust ports area, and It only opens maybe .100". I'm assuming your CRs' is 10x1.00mm thread. If I had the choice, and had to start from scratch, I'd keep your simple ones. But if you do forget a lot about them, & your grinding the starter, Its your call. I just wired mine to the starter trigger wire, & it works well. But I've read that some let out a little to much compression, & they have to let off the starter?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

turboprop

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on May 05, 2016, 06:10:37 AM
I currently have manual compression releases in my heads.
I was looking for a way to adapt/use auto releases. Already tired of pushing them in every time I start the engine.
I found an adapter that threads into the current CR threaded hole and the ACR threads into that.
Might try to make them myself hence my upcoming question.
I can purchase the ACR"s and wire harness from HD so no issues there.
I have designed a solid state relay schematic using the GM 87 relay so the ACR's are triggered when the Crank/start button is pushed.
So what I am looking for is,
What is the dimensions of the ACR. Specifically the thread size, thread length, port hole diameter and dimension of the port hole center to end of threads. The diameter of the flange that the compression washer sits and its length.
Attached is a pic of one for sale but the cost is way too much so I will try to make my own.
[attach=0]

I did this very same thing and it works very well. Have been running the Harley ACRs for over a year. The engine cranks at 215 Lbs. Used to have mechanical releases. The ACRs took a few steps off the start up procedure and work every time. I tied them into the starter circus without using an additional relay. I really like them.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Turbo
could you furnish the information on where you got the adapters and the specifics on the wiring?

Thanks
K
Member since 2004

turboprop

The wiring is simple. The ACR has two leads coming off it. One goes to ground, the other goes to the small, wire connected to the solenoid.

The adapters were made here locally by a friend, but I have seen them on Ebay. I have no idea what the dimensions are. My friend made then in a manual lathe. One end was the same dimensions as the manual releases I removed from the head, the other end had the same dimensions as the ACR, that we also had in hand. The overall length was kept as short as possible ignorer to clear the ignition switch near the rear cylinder (FXR) and to limit adding additional volume to the chamber.

Making these adapters and wiring them is not hard. But give it time, the regular crowd here will debate anything. My recommendations to just get the ACRs, a manual CR and just do it.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Yes The adapters are on Ebay, BUT are too expensive for my taste, also the write up says "patent pending"

I can make them my self as long as I get the thread info such as in the first reply.

Wiring is fairly easy for me so no worries on doing that, I just thought it would be less of a voltage drop on the solenoid signal if a relay was used...
Thanks
Member since 2004

Boe Cole

I took a picture of the one that came out of my 2011 RGU but its too big to attach. 

Specifics are 20 TPI, a very tight 12mm or a loose 1/2" with the threaded part measuring 1/2" in length before you go to the solid shaft with the compression openings.  Of course, as previously mentioned, its a two wire affair with one being ground and the other positive.  The top nut size is 13/16" - I modified (cut) an old spark plug socket to use as a compression release tool.  Since the bolt is a 13/16", I would bet the threads are 1/2" as well.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.