April 27, 2024, 07:06:17 AM

News:

2016 Breakout questions

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, May 09, 2016, 03:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

My Girlfriends son just purchased his first HD. A 2016 Breakout. 103.

I am not up to date on a lot of the newer models so I cannot answer a lot of his questions.

Here are a couple.

1. He wants different clutch and brake levers, It appears there are limited selection due to internal routing of cables and wires in the bars. Any suggestions?

2. He like almost any other new HD owner wants a louder more traditional HD sound out the exhaust, The mufflers have cats in them so the questions are,
2a, Do the cats have to stay? Not sure myself if there is a second O2 sensor like Auto systems and the second one is needed?
2b. if the Cats are not needed any recommendations on good mufflers or exhaust, He is looking for black color and NO 2 into 1 style. more traditional styles.

Thanks
Member since 2004

calif phil

Bassani Pro Street exhaust is available in black  and should give him the look and sound he wants.   

bigfoot5x

May 09, 2016, 02:37:04 PM #2 Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:40:15 PM by bigfoot5x
1) He should be able to change clutch and brake levers without any problem regardless of how the wiring is done. The levers just have pivot points and nothing electric is attached to them. Grips are also easy to change. The internal wiring creates a bigger problem with changing the handle bars. Selection limitations of levers could be caused if he has a hydraulic clutch and there are not as many sets offering the hydraulic clutch lever as there are cable clutch levers.

2) Harleys only have 1 O2 sensor in each pipe right before the cats. You can put any muffler or pipe you want on the bike. The catalogs will show lots of choices and the year's that they fit. Changing the mufflers is quick and easy and there is not a second O2 sensor to worry about like on a car. I am sure that the cats have to stay according to law but they are usually the first thing removed because the mufflers are swapped out.

3) Lots of guys on here swear that if you change anything in the way of muffler or air filter you need a tune done. My experience is that the factory ECM can handle those minor changes without a tuner or dealer installed reflash. I only get a tuner for more serious engine changes like a cam change or cubic inch change. Huge debates on here about this but my opinion is that the ECM can handle the muffler change. Somebody that wants to wring every last horsepower out of an engine will want a tuner but he won't be able to feel the difference with the seat of his pants.

Templar2

He is excited about his new bike, and that is a good thing, my advise would be to start the education process and this is a great place to do that.  So is buying a HD repair manual.  Read up on how some have modified their bikes, and try to avoid the "next big thing" approach to modifying your bike for power, my experience has been that you most likely will not be truly happy and will end up with a garage full of slightly used parts.  Of course i never did that.  I think pipes, A/C, etc are a great place to start, but I will disagree on a tuner.  My experience (remember I never bought the latest, greatest "Potty mouth" for my bike) has been that tuning is the most effective way to get your bike running right.  Cams, etc can come later since a tuner will be able to be adjusted accordingly, and the bang for the buck is big in how a stock bike will run after making post factory adjustments (which are limited to lean and leaner), it is more than worth the money.  Education?  Call the likes of Fuel Moto, or ask some of the experts on this site, THEY know this game and are more than happy to help a new owner with their questions.  Pretty sure there ain't nothing they haven't tried, or failed on, most of us do.  Makes it what it is, FUN!!

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: bigfoot5x on May 09, 2016, 02:37:04 PM
1) He should be able to change clutch and brake levers without any problem regardless of how the wiring is done. The levers just have pivot points and nothing electric is attached to them. Grips are also easy to change. The internal wiring creates a bigger problem with changing the handle bars. Selection limitations of levers could be caused if he has a hydraulic clutch and there are not as many sets offering the hydraulic clutch lever as there are cable clutch levers.

2) Harleys only have 1 O2 sensor in each pipe right before the cats. You can put any muffler or pipe you want on the bike. The catalogs will show lots of choices and the year's that they fit. Changing the mufflers is quick and easy and there is not a second O2 sensor to worry about like on a car. I am sure that the cats have to stay according to law but they are usually the first thing removed because the mufflers are swapped out.

3) Lots of guys on here swear that if you change anything in the way of muffler or air filter you need a tune done. My experience is that the factory ECM can handle those minor changes without a tuner or dealer installed reflash. I only get a tuner for more serious engine changes like a cam change or cubic inch change. Huge debates on here about this but my opinion is that the ECM can handle the muffler change. Somebody that wants to wring every last horsepower out of an engine will want a tuner but he won't be able to feel the difference with the seat of his pants.

Harley part book for 2016 list only TWO levers, Chrome and black. All other don't fit this bike.
Due wires inside bars (not thru a hole) completely internal. I am agreeing that all others wont fit.

He is complaing about a couple hundred dollars after dropping 18 k for the bike........go figure
Member since 2004

cdonis

Have him look on hd forums, There is a everything breakout thread a thousand pages long, that covers almost everything.

Hossamania

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on May 09, 2016, 04:03:56 PM

He is complaing about a couple hundred dollars after dropping 18 k for the bike........go figure

The classic Harley owner. Knew a guy who wanted cheaper oil than the HD oil for $4.50 per quart. Went out of his way to get Rotella for $3.99 per quart.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Leed

bigfoot5x

Harley might only show 2 levers for his bike but the after market should have more. Don't be limited to Harley for some things.

Panzer

$150.00 for a lever?    OUCH!!  :crook:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

BUBBIE

Quote from: calif phil on May 09, 2016, 06:34:55 AM
Bassani Pro Street exhaust is available in black  and should give him the look and sound he wants.

Chrome Used in our For Sale items...

Man., used for 600$ what is the New Cost... This one says fits softail :nix: :scratch:
Link:
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,90870.0.html

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!