May 08, 2024, 08:27:24 PM

News:

110"/117" Bolt On Kits

Started by Tattoo, May 17, 2016, 04:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

:agree:  you see comments from some saying dealers don't pay there techs/parts people enough then some complain about the labor rate being to high.  :scratch:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Rockout Rocker Products

July 24, 2016, 07:06:53 AM #176 Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:08:58 AM by Rockout Rocker Products
Quote from: Tattoo on July 24, 2016, 04:39:42 AM
:agree:  you see comments from some saying dealers don't pay there techs/parts people enough then some complain about the labor rate being to high.  :scratch:

I think the problem is when both are true  :wink:

I don't know what they pay employees at the dealers around here but one thing's for sure.... it's not enough to keep them.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

koko3052

Maybe off topic here, but if moco wanted to make a little coin, plus keep sales prices down , don't you think that just MAYBE use some parts, bearings & seals, that are standard dimensions instead of being proprietary? I have a problem with a company that wants/needs to make the most both from initial sale plus parts!
Beat me if I'm wrong! :gob:

rigidthumper

Quote from: koko3052 on July 24, 2016, 09:40:23 PM
Maybe off topic here, but if moco wanted to make a little coin, plus keep sales prices down , don't you think that just MAYBE use some parts, bearings & seals, that are standard dimensions instead of being proprietary? I have a problem with a company that wants/needs to make the most both from initial sale plus parts!
Beat me if I'm wrong! :gob:

New engineers have to come up with something different to justify their big paycheck, and they have to have that big paycheck to cover their student loans.

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Helomech74

Can the 110 bolt on cylinders be purchased without the entire kit?  I've considered using them with my own parts for a build.  If they can be purchased by themselves, does anyone have the part number?

FSG

July 25, 2016, 11:34:41 PM #180 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:01:59 PM by FSG

Helomech74

tmwmoose

With the cyl being this tool steel what does HD say about being  able to be ball honed for a new ring set if needed way down the road ? 

bwernicke

August 14, 2016, 07:50:29 PM #183 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:12:16 PM by FSG
Quote from: strokerjlk on July 15, 2016, 07:09:18 AM
Quote from: bwernicke on July 15, 2016, 06:47:54 AM
Quote from: strokerjlk on July 15, 2016, 06:45:08 AM
Quote from: bwernicke on July 15, 2016, 05:33:22 AM
They have offered to replace the motor it as at no charge. The only difference being it would be a 113 instead of a 110. It needs new cases and everything.

They are also are checking how they could get me into a 120R. Thoughts on that? I am taking this thread way off topic now I guess.
push them for a 120 st or the 120r . the st would suite your riding style better.

A stock 120ST?
YES .
they feel really good with the 259 cams. the 266 cams in the r motor will make more HP. but the 259 in the S/T  feels better
http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,90905.0.html

I ended up with the 120ST. I picked it up Friday. The dealership covered everything.

The 120ST comes with a one year motor company warranty and since my bike had less than 75k miles I extended that to a five year motor company warranty on the whole bike for $3k including wheel and tire.

I put 500 miles on the motor this weekend and taking it from Chicago to glacier national park and back starting this Friday.

It pulls real good. 118/128. Dyno posted in the dyno forum. I think I'll do even better if I dump the rinehart high flow baffle.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be very happy with this decision!

TorQuePimp

klammer76

Will the 110 kits work on earlier FL's (06 and earlier) that have been taken to 103 with S&S 4 3/8 lower end (traditional rods not tapered)?

Thanks,
klammer

Tattoo

I believe the pistons have to me modified to except the non tapered connecting rods.

lonewolf

August 16, 2016, 12:27:09 PM #187 Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:55:45 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Tattoo on August 16, 2016, 08:54:57 AM
I believe the pistons have to me modified to except the non tapered connecting rods.
:up:

[attach=0]

Tattoo

klammer76

Thanks, that is what I though the answer would be. I had heard the pistons could be modified, nice to see a picture  :up:

HD/Wrench

The process is a simple one However I had a bike come in first of the year that had a cracked  piston. It started from the machined area and was working its way out. It would have a very odd rattle at times. If you do not use the right tooling it could leave a stress riser . In this case I think that is what happened to that one.. 

But mahle does this on the custom pistons you order and many many other shops have done it.. Provided it is done correctly you will be fine

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on August 17, 2016, 08:02:06 AM
The process is a simple one However I had a bike come in first of the year that had a cracked  piston. It started from the machined area and was working its way out. It would have a very odd rattle at times. If you do not use the right tooling it could leave a stress riser . In this case I think that is what happened to that one.. 

But mahle does this on the custom pistons you order and many many other shops have done it.. Provided it is done correctly you will be fine
:up: Should be fine with ample radius at the bottom of the cut.
Ron

Don D

HD/Wrench

Yes that is 100% correct , as I said the proper tooling  :up: