May 08, 2024, 11:18:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110"/117" Bolt On Kits

Started by Tattoo, May 17, 2016, 04:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

May 17, 2016, 04:21:45 AM Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:39:40 AM by Tattoo
so I have been getting a few e-mails ,phone calls and PM's about how the 110"/117" bolt on kits are holding up. a few members on this site beat these kits up pretty bad when they first came out, well so far so good we have over 45 110" kits and about 15 117" dyno tuned and on the road with not one issue as of yet . our very first 110 kit went to California and back and the only thing it needed when he got back was tires and a service. have done several with T-Man heads and cams with great results and several with JC Walker heads with outstanding TQ and are pounded on daily. My employee had his done last winter has almost 4000 miles on his 110" and is  actually trying to blow it up but it is still going strong. not trying to sell anybody anything or promote HD products but I must say these kits have been holding up for our customers . if anything changes I will post pictures and details of the failed part. :beer:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

FSG

:up:

and for those interested HD have only just released a new Instruction Sheet  REV. 2016-05-16

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-content/service/isheets/-J06285.PDF

wfolarry

It seemed like a good idea to me. When guys first started punching out their 103's to 107 I thought that was a recipe for disaster because the spigots were too thin. There's a thousand motors out there to prove that wrong. With the better material those cylinders are made of I don't see any reason for them to fail. Always like to see new stuff working out like you hope it would.  :up:

rockytop117

I've got close to 1500 miles on my 117 ( two oil changes & nothing in the oil to show issues)  I run the wheels off of it even done some drag racing & so far it seems to be awesome! I've got a 2000 mile trip coming up in June & that will be the test. If this kit works out I will also do the 110 drop in kit in my wives Softail.
11 serg 117ci wfo larry heads 10:2 190ccp se 58mm hpi 5.3 rb 2-1 128/135 sae

NHBagger

Tattoo

NHBagger

harleytuner

Good info thanks for the update.  I've had a few customers call inquiring about the 117" kit.  My response so far has been i'm on the fence still.  I will wait a hit longer before installing one for a customer.  I'd like to see one with some miles on it torn down and measured for out of round, and I just haven't found the customer to do that with yet.  I have seen a few issues with the .060" over 110's being out of round and because of that I won't be doing anymore. 

Raleigh111

if a guy were to crank up his 110 to a 117 with heads and cam wouldn't the crank become a issue?
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

Tattoo

Quote from: Raleigh111 on May 17, 2016, 06:24:22 AM
if a guy were to crank up his 110 to a 117 with heads and cam wouldn't the crank become a issue?

My service writer had 45,000 miles on his hopped up 103"(2012 FLTR) stock lower end  before he installed the 110' bolt on kit with JC Walker heads 125/126. like I said he as actually been trying to blow it up for around 4000 hard  miles and it is still running strong.

GunShyKennedy

May 17, 2016, 06:44:49 AM #10 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:25:27 AM by GunShyKennedy
I have one, travelled 4,000ks.
No problem.
Seriously and severely measured before fitting, especially bore size.
cheers,
richo

NHBagger

My service writer had 45,000 miles on his hopped up 103"(2012 FLTR) stock lower end  before he installed the 110' bolt on kit with JC Walker heads 125/126. like I said he as actually been trying to blow it up for around 4000 hard  miles and it is still running strong.
[/quote]

What cams, John's?

Tattoo

SE 259 ,they were the cams from his previous 103" build.

Tommy D

Wes,

Thanks for taking your time writing this summary,  Good to hear :up:
Acts 4:12

lisab

Looks like another nail in the coffin for the Indy custom motor builders.  Pretty soon it will only be the alphabet gang S&S and HD for 110" and above.

harleytuner

Quote from: lisab on May 17, 2016, 09:29:23 AM
Looks like another nail in the coffin for the Indy custom motor builders.  Pretty soon it will only be the alphabet gang S&S and HD for 110" and above.

Not really, at least i'm not worried about it.  If you look at what you could do with the amount of money the kit cost, and the cost of labor at a dealership, that money will go a long way towards something else.  Not to mention a lot of customers don't want a cookie cutter build.  A lot of dealers (at least in my area) won't install anything except MoCo/SE parts.

lisab

Take a good look at how the price of used Twin Cam engine case prices have dropped over the past two years.  What was selling for 850~900 is now half that.  Softail cases with flywheels in them for 600~700 dollars.  Motor company short blocks have made a dent and the SE cases are very competitive for building a big motor.

LC110

May 17, 2016, 11:17:43 AM #17 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:02:57 PM by LC110
I have to ask, what happened to all the out of round cylinders and the special torque plates. Have not heard about any these things since the initial introduction. Was it all BS?
And did anyone get these special torque plates? I am sure I read that someone had them on order.

wfolarry

Quote from: LC110 on May 17, 2016, 11:17:43 AM
I have to ask, what happened to all the out of round cylinders and the special torque plates. Have not heard about any these things since the initial introduction. Was it all BS?

More like a lot of drama. But there's always one somewhere that had a problem that makes all the rest junk. There were some pictures on this site when they first came out that looked like there was a machining problem. A good engine builder will catch a problem before it becomes a problem. An assembler just puts it together & hopes for the best.

Admiral Akbar

And did anyone get these special torque plates? I am sure I read that someone had them on order.

What special TQ plates?   Jims ones work fine on a 4 inch bore.. They get a little tight when doing +0.010 tho.. Won't do +0.020..

Paul in Alaska

So how about the 117 kit for a 2011 CVO? I believe these kits are for 2014 and up.... Just slugs and jugs from the kit and go with it? Add a cam?
Been riding, dragging feet on the ice and snow...

HD/Wrench

special tq plate   :hyst:  HD BS , nothing more .. I have only done the 117 and customers are happy and riding .  No issues that I have been made aware of on the installs we have done. Another going together in the morning.. 117 , Ported CVO heads HPI 62 MM our 600 cam VH pwr dual crusher mufflers and DD7. Should make for a very fast RK

Tattoo

HD BS ?? maybe that one dealer made that comment but I talked with a guy from SE and claims that statement did not come from the MOCO.

HD/Wrench

Well then that dealer lied  :nix: stating what I was told and dealer told me he contacted MOCO.. But I am not the only one that was told that. .

1FSTRK

Quote from: Max Headflow on May 17, 2016, 01:33:31 PM

What special TQ plates?   Jims ones work fine on a 4 inch bore.. They get a little tight when doing +0.010 tho.. Won't do +0.020..

I think he is referring to this post and thread as well as the one from the other web site.

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 21, 2016, 10:11:49 AM
Quote from: 98fxstc on March 20, 2016, 10:03:22 PM
Quote from: Max Headflow on March 18, 2016, 10:11:42 PM
Quote from: 98fxstc on March 18, 2016, 08:32:10 PM
Quote from: RTMike on March 18, 2016, 08:12:52 PM
I would be interested to see what they measure up like with torque plates on.By the look of them very poor quality control . :potstir:
Which torque plates ?
The special MOCO ones ?

:scratch:  Don't need to be special.. They'll fit a set of Jim's TC plates..

MY original reply was 'tongue in cheek'

special torque plates HD-48627-A
There has been a fair bit of discussion about out of round cylinders for the 117 kits on the CVO site

Thought you may have been aware of it Max
You had a thread on torque plates recently

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=106379.0
see reply #45 , reply #75

A 117 will need special plates as the bore is 4 1/8..  Don't go over to the CVO forum.. Only took me about 3-4 posts to get permanently banned from that place..  :embarrassed:

Taken from this thread
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,89644.msg1027660.html#msg1027660
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."