April 27, 2024, 11:37:03 AM

News:

radio for a 2012 street glide

Started by 1workinman, May 17, 2016, 06:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1workinman

My speakers or at least one of them is making a sound like its damaged , I have searched some here and decided to just ask the question who makes a good for the money kit radio and speaker for the glide. What I wont is a decent radio that is plug and play along with the speakers, may be a amp. I just wont a clear sounding system. One that is controlled by the original controls , and is a modern system. I would appreciate any advice on which system Is a good bang for the buck. I don't mind spending more money for a decent system but I wont value.  Thanks Jim

UltraNutZ

are you wanting to keep the stock radio? If you were content with the sound until now then I would simply replace the speakers with a better pair of speakers than the stockers and try that out.  If you still want to replace the radio afterwards, then at least the speakers are already done.

if you want to go ahead and replace it all, pretty much any aftermarket radio will work with the stock controls utilizing a control module.  Biketronics has the only one on the market that retains AVC (automatic volume control - speed up, volume increases - slow down, volume decreases).  Scosche, Axtell, PAC, HogWired, etc. all make a handlebar control module.

Jensen has a headunit out that is a direct replacement for the stocker radio but it does not retain AVC but is IP66 rated (waterproof) just like the stock radio is.

Bottom line is you have a LOT of options and they really all depend on what you want to do .
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

1workinman

Thanks for the reply > had no idea that the radio had that function. The radio does not seem to be a very good unit now. It goes up in volume an then at a point it just distorts the music. I need good speakers at least . Was not sure who to get them from . I wont to buy good speakers that could be used later with a amp if possible .  I appreciate any suggestions . I was not sure that the stock radio would support a good amp later on .  Thanks Jim

UltraNutZ

Quote from: 1workinman on May 18, 2016, 08:24:33 AM
Thanks for the reply > had no idea that the radio had that function. The radio does not seem to be a very good unit now. It goes up in volume an then at a point it just distorts the music. I need good speakers at least . Was not sure who to get them from . I wont to buy good speakers that could be used later with a amp if possible .  I appreciate any suggestions . I was not sure that the stock radio would support a good amp later on .  Thanks Jim

• when the volume goes up like that and distorts, can you hit the volume down button on handlebar to reign it back in?  If so, you might want to simply turn off the AVC.  You can do that in the menu of the radio.
  • The stocker head unit is actually not a bad unit considering what it was designed for.  However with that said, the aftermarket world brings a whole new level of sound quality into the mix.
  • Will the stock unit support an amp? absolutely, and pretty much any amp
  • For good 2 ohm speakers, I would look at the Infinity Kappa 62.11i

1workinman

I appreciate the advice I dont have any idea how to go throught the menue on the radio . I never had one of these before . I would like to replace the speakers because I think one is bad. Never had the fairing apart so this will be a learning experence. Thanks for reccomending the speakers . The stock radio is a decent unit , I had no idea . I was planing on replacing it with something better  and a amp , Any suggestions where to buy the speakers thanks again Jim

UltraNutZ

May 18, 2016, 11:01:27 AM #5 Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:04:15 AM by UltraNutZ
on a 12 glide the fairing comes off really easy.  for someone who's not taken it off before, changing speakers is about an hour long task.

you need a torx T27 and that's it unless you have aftermarket windshield trim on in which case you'll need whatever that uses to remove those 3 screws.
while you order your speakers and wait for arrival, go to walmart in the crafts section and get you a small bag of polyfil about 3/4" thick.  just a small bag and don't get the loose stuff.  get the rolled stuff.  it's cheap at about $5.00

*DO NOT USE A T25*

if you have passing lamps, put a couple of socks over them to keep from scratching your fairing.
remove 2 outside winshield screws completely
loosen a little but DO NOT remove center windshield screw
to the left edge of fairing near left speaker is a T27, remove completely
to the right edge of fairing near right speaker is a T27, remove completely
turn wheel all the way to the left and you'll see just inside the right fork under the neck another T27 there, remove completely
turn wheel all the way to the right and you'll see just inside the left fork under the neck another t27 there, remove completely
now hold fairing with one hand under the headlight and remove center windshield screw completely and fairing will drop off into your hands.
squeeze sides of black headlight plug and pull apart the plug to release fairing completely.
unplug speakers
unscrew 3 T27 screws holding stock speaker bracket to fairing and the whole thing comes off in your hand
do the same for other side
follow the procedure for the adapters you buy for your speakers.  PAY ATTENTION to where the shortest screw goes otherwise you'll run a screw right through your inner fairing.
the connectors on the stock speakers are - large connector is negative and small connector is positive. 
the connectors on the aftermarket speakers are - small connector is negative and large connector is positive
you'll need to cut these connectors off or improvise a way to connect them properly to the new speakers.
wrap each speaker snug with 1 layer of about 1/2" to 3/4" polyfil in a 15x15" square.  there's enough left there to tuck into the fairing adapters to hold it in place

reverse the procedure to re-assemble

if you go with what I recommended, the 62.11i, they can be had here
you'll need these adapters also for any aftermarket speaker to attach to fairing.

1workinman

05fatboy95

Just doing speakers will sound better but I feel you will still be wanting more as most do. Consider doing the biketronics amp and speakers kit. Spend the money once. I just did the BT2180 amp and 7.1 speakers and it is amazing even with stock radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1workinman

CDeucer

I added a Hogtunes amp and speaker kit to my stock unit on a 2012 Road Glide. Much improvement at higher volume but  still not the greatest option out there.

Tommy D

Quote from: 1workinman on May 17, 2016, 06:36:43 PM
My speakers or at least one of them is making a sound like its damaged , I have searched some here and decided to just ask the question who makes a good for the money kit radio and speaker for the glide. What I wont is a decent radio that is plug and play along with the speakers, may be a amp. I just wont a clear sounding system. One that is controlled by the original controls , and is a modern system. I would appreciate any advice on which system Is a good bang for the buck. I don't mind spending more money for a decent system but I wont value.  Thanks Jim

Just an FYI... Good advice & knowledgeable members here with audio, keep in mind you have 2 supporting vendors for resources also here on site,,, Iron Cross Audio & Biketronics
Acts 4:12

1workinman

Thanks for the info. I perfer using vendors here

Tommy D

Acts 4:12

1workinman

Quote from: 1workinman on May 18, 2016, 10:39:05 AM
I appreciate the advice I dont have any idea how to go throught the menue on the radio . I never had one of these before . I would like to replace the speakers because I think one is bad. Never had the fairing apart so this will be a learning experence. Thanks for reccomending the speakers . The stock radio is a decent unit , I had no idea . I was planing on replacing it with something better  and a amp , Any suggestions where to buy the speakers thanks again Jim
I ordered the speakers and the adapter rings.  I would spend the money on a amp  also and a radio if it is a good buy. I don't know a lot about radios . The blue tooth would be nice . With the speakers I ordered what would you recommend for a amp and a radio . If the stock radio is of then just a amp. I just don't know a lot about sound systems , thanks Jim

tdgriff

It's so easy to hook up a new stereo you will have no problems at all . What speakers did you get ?

1workinman

I just go a call for the ware house and they were out of the speakers that was reccomended to me They were the infinity kappa 62.11 have no clue where they come up with a name like that for speakers lol . No idea what to get now lol . Maybe a kit

1workinman

Quote from: 05fatboy95 on May 18, 2016, 05:30:40 PM
Just doing speakers will sound better but I feel you will still be wanting more as most do. Consider doing the biketronics amp and speakers kit. Spend the money once. I just did the BT2180 amp and 7.1 speakers and it is amazing even with stock radio.
Just ordered the speakers and amp and got the holiday discount .  Thanks again Jim

1workinman

I finally got around to installing the amp and speakers . I want to thanks UN for telling me how to remove the fairing and answering a lot of questions. For ever one who responded to the messages I appreciate it . The install went ok except I could not find the wiring harness to the lighter . I made one and after I got done it was under the box . It took me a little while to realize how the speakers wired up to the line lever. Pretty straight forward . I may pull the fairing again to have the blue tooth adapter installed to the radio and delete the air temp and find a oil temp gauge to replace it later on . The stock speaker were ragged out also . I should have know a used bike it just that lol . The speakers and amp from B T sound great compared to what I had.