April 30, 2024, 10:27:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch arm travel???

Started by easyricer, April 12, 2009, 07:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyricer

Can one of you guys please take a measurement on your clutch arm? I need to know the total travel. I'm going to shorten the travel of the rocker clutch so that I don't have to run out and buy more parts! As of right now I'm moving the clutch arm 2 solid inches. ( I know that is way too much!)
Thanks in advance.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

motorplex88

3/4 in. is what mine measures.

motorplex88

Guess I better finish. Arm is 6.5 in. from pivot point to cable point. Travel 3/4 in. Sorry man.  :embarrassed:

easyricer

Great! That's about what I was thinking! I can reduce the swing of my pedal to 1 inch fairly easily so that should be more than enough to get the job done and use the rocker clutch! Thanks.
EASY

blackbeard 60

the book says 13/16 from to arm to the top of the cow pie tran.

easyricer

Well I got the travel down to 1 inch almost exactly. I drilled a 5/16 hole in the rocker clutch cable adapter half way up from the original mount point. Gave me a good start point.
Thanks all! It's working now much better and with alot less grab than it had before.
EASY

kiwidave

easy way to remember...

the correct travel is the width of a spark plug. REALLY.

and all the settings depend on the location of the pivot point at the rocker clutch.

After years with a cable,  i now have a custom-fabbed rod hooked up using heim/''rose'' joint at the rocker clutch end, bolted through a bracket on top of the clutch pivot nut (close to motor)....and at the clutch end it is just threaded rod-end with double nuts either side of the stock clutch release arm, which the end slides through..... it works. The clutch release arm was blowtorched and bent upwards to make a rod linkage work.

Every set-up is different. I am using a custom-bent rod linkage cos i have stock FX oil bag, rotary top tranny and electric start primary (but no solenoid) to negotiate....

easyricer

Dave it sounds like you have the same type setup that I do. Ratchet top tranny with the standard clutch rod for the tin primary. My primary is the stock electric start with a working starter setup(now). I have a smooth shift gate on the tank with my own home made shifter. It works like a slap stick.
Now with the right amount of travel on the clutch the bike is even better to ride. I can shift easier, stop easier and go alot easier. I have a much larger friction zone where the bike pulls with the clutch slipping. It does take a bit of time to master the shifter and the clutch but I got it worked out pretty fast.
EASY

MMOCGuy

Hey Easy and Dave.

Interesting projects. How 'bout posting some pictures if you have 'em?? I haven't ridden a tank shifter since the '60s. I had fun with it when I did ride one and, it sure was a conversation piece - even back then.

Norm.

easyricer

MMOCGuy, The set up I got is just a basic ratchet top tranny with a smooth shifter gate that I made and a tank mount shifter that I also made. The rocker clutch is a repop of the older style but came with adapters to install it on the newer (84-99) Softails. I had in on my old Pan Imitation project that has since just disappeared into the shop. I parted it out to get this old Shovel goin. It's up for sale or trade now since things here at the house have changed so much over the past week. (I got custody of my kids and my girlfriend moved in with us)
Anyhow I got some pics for ya if you wanna look.

EASY