April 28, 2024, 07:49:39 AM

News:

Monotubes in extended forks?

Started by -deuced-, June 03, 2016, 08:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-deuced-

June 03, 2016, 08:25:48 PM Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:28:18 PM by -deuced-
01 Deuce with 2" over fork tubes. I'm thinking of putting monotubes in. Haven't seen the actual monotubes, only pictures. Can the fork tube plug be removed from the top of the cartridge?
I want to put a spacer in there.

FSG

No, I believe it's machined as one piece.

-deuced-

Thanks, although not the answer I was hoping for, lol.

Admiral Akbar

June 03, 2016, 10:08:49 PM #3 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:16:38 PM by Max Headflow
This has been asked before.. To lazy to look but I suspect that the monotube still uses the stock tapered cone for compression stop.. If so.. All you need to do is add a 2 inch spacer to the end of the monotube and a 50 mm longer 8mm bolt in the bottom.. 1/2 hour lathe work. Make em out of 6061..

BTW Race Tech's work fine on extended forks, all you need to do is correct preload / sag..

-deuced-

Thanks. I only found one similar question but there were no replies to it. Plenty of stuff on lowering. I searched again and found a post running them in 1&5/8" over, no mention of any spacers. I did wonder about extending the monotube's "damper rod" and using a spacer under the top out spring but thought a spacer at the top would be more sturdy. I've been thinking about this for a while and emulators were definitely an option. I'll see what I can do with the monotubes.

ThumperDeuce

If you want to go with cartridges, Traxxion may be able to fit theirs into your tubes for you.

http://www.traxxion.com/Harley-Davidson/
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

-deuced-

Thanks. Checked them out before. They look good and I like the adjustability but out of my budget.

FSG

I have a set of Race Tech Emulators and Springs on my desk.