April 30, 2024, 10:27:11 PM

News:

Electronic ignition conversion - Kick only.

Started by shoveltrouble, April 12, 2009, 09:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoveltrouble

HI, I'm looking to convert my '71fx to electronic ignition,
(Why? I know there's a couple of opinions about elec ignition, but basically to add to reliability, a slight H.P. increase and I'm told single fire will smooth things out a little)
I'm looking for some input as to the best setup to run. I'm told the Crane Hi4 is great, however with Crane going belly up the warranty side of things worries me a little. As for the Dyna ignitions, Retailers are telling me they're suitable for kick only bikes but a lot of people are telling me they're not. I would probably prefer to do away with the mechanical advance. And then if dyna ignition is suitable which one? The 2000i has been pushed hard but the whole "Plug in a laptop for custom advance curves" seems like overkill.
Is single fire that much / any better?
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Shoveltrouble

chris haynes

I just bought a Crane from V-Twin. Crane is recovering I understand.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

Snuff™

I installed the Crane Hi4 about 5 yrs. ago in my '82 FLH and have no problems kickstarting it.  Installed the kickstart at the same time due to the bike was eating starters and batteries.

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

76shuvlinoff

I have a Dyna 2000i from about 2002. I don't know about the new 2000i but Dyna told me they don't recommend the 2000i for kick starting, for that they suggest the Dyna S with the mechanical advance weight mechanism.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

stroker800

Dyna S,, OR Vulcan (Motorway eng) same as Dyna but metal , not plastic parts,,  OR I like the Dyna 2000iP, this a nose cone unit ,no black box,, Have installed in many shovels with kicker and button and have started with both fine.
Dave

pappyfreebird

jus my opinion n its ony on cranes dual fire...but evin in kick mode they dont fire as easy as points,,been n unanswerd ? too..as to how kin they kick harder with lectric over points?  when i run my points in my own she simply rolls over n is idlin,,with the lectric ya better jump hard..questions aways asked is how kin that lectric make it seem like mo compression n evi way retarded they simply dont kick as good as points...if i dint have that button id put my points back in fast..fact ive considered jus fer the fact i do still kick fairly often..but my lectric is nawt predictable like my points in the kicking process ..n the few others ive put them in have said same..as fer mo power nawt!!..better idle is bout it..n no points er springs to clean ..thats it in my werld

FLHRDaddy

I've had the Hi-4 Single Fire on my 79 now for a couple of years. I went kick only like another here because it was a constant job to keep the electric start functioning properly. The Hi-4 has a switch to set it for Electric or Kick start. In the Electric position it lets the engine trun over a couple times before firing the plugs. In the Kick position it fires the plugs with no delay. So if you are kicking in the Electric position you have to kick hard enough to trun the engine over a couple times.

In any event with it in the Kick position kick starting is easy, mine starts 50% of the time on the first kick and 95% of the time on the second. The key is clearing the engine and getting the fuel set correctly before activating the ignition. I should note that since installing the Single Fire I've not had it kick back.

Lew

Electronics are great!....when they work.  The Crane stuff seems to be a 50-50 deal in my experience.  Half of them go tits up and the other half are perfectly fine.  The Dyna stuff seems to be much better in that department.  I personally feel the prices are way out of line for these things.   Your money would be better spent somewhere else in my opinion.  Unless ya just gotta have it...I'd just replace your current (most likely worn out) points setup with a new bearing type advance unit, new advance weight springs, new Dyna; Blue Streak or Accell 5 ohm coil a new set of Blue Streak or Accell points and condenser and a set of Accell 8.8mm solid core wires.  Unless you are turning the engine up to 5k and beyond on a regular basis there really is no need for anything more.  JMHO

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Little Al

I've had the Dyna S with mechanical advance for 50K miles in my '83. I think I've hit the starter button like 3 times, kicks flawlessly. I recommend it without reservation
Little Al

motorplex88

I'll have to go with pappy and lewy on this one. An advance unit in good working order, and the rest of the ignition system in good shape will take you many a trouble free miles. Easy start and you can always get a set of Blue Streaks just about anywhere. The electronic is not a bad gig but when there done there done. At least if points are going south there gonna give some kind of warning things ain't quite right and need to be tended to. Just an opinion. 

NormL

Thumbs up for Dyna S and 2000i ignitions.  I run a 2000iP now (no programing)  no problem kicking it to start either but it hits on the first pop with the button.

Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

Little Al

now don 't get me wrong. I find nothing wrong with good old fashioned points & condenser, but he asked opinions on electronic ignitions. I got my '83 with a Dyna S in it from previous owner with just 1000 miles on it so I left it. Always figured when i had trouble with it I'd go back to points (run points on my Pan) but I'm happy to say, I'm still waiting for that day I have trouble with the Dyna S
Little Al

CraigArizona85248

I put over 40K miles on a PowerArc CDR.  Never had to touch it for that entire run.  One day I developed a slight, almost undetectable misfire.  Over about a 1 month period it got slowly worse.  Finally decided it was the ignition module and installed a new one.  Been running perfect for the last 20K miles... again no adjustments after the install and timing was set.  The electronic modules don't always just die and leave you stranded.  But that certainly is a risk.

One of the things you need to look for in an electronic module if you are going to be kickstarting is a module that will spark on the first rotation of the motor.  Some of these modules are setup to let the motor turn over completely for one or two revolutions of the crank before they will fire.  This is done to prevent kick-back on electric starters.  Kickstarting would about be impossible with one of these modules.

-Craig

randallwhitman

Check with Compufire.  I've had their fully electronic plate in my 103 shov for over a dozen years.  Flawless.  Oh.....you should consider running a VOES with your ignition.  Great addition for the street.  No detonation.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX