May 01, 2024, 12:26:08 AM

News:

What's the bulb number in FLH dashes

Started by gryphon, April 13, 2009, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Bought some new bulbs a couple of weeks ago for my FLH style dash. I thought I had the right ones but they shine super bright for about an hour then blow out. Anyone know the number of the correct bulbs. Thanks

FSG

gryphon

Yeah, year might help. It's an early two light dash using the bayonette style brass base bulbs. NOT the wedge style all glass ones.

gryphon

My parts manual only gives me the HD part number which is hard to cross reference at my local NAPA store.

FSG

I'm thinking of 71099-74  and going to a parts store I expect they'll look at it and give me a flashlight bulb (3.6V) which is going to look bright until it goes poof....

motorplex88

I believe they are a 144 st.  Single pole, pretty small globe. brass bayonette base.

vern

what kind of #is that? if i have the wrong bulbs in my bike will it affect the way it flashes? vern

motorplex88

The 144st is kind of a bastard number. The napa # is a t53 [small globe]. I've seen some with a napa # 1895 [slightly larger globe]. Both 12volt, both should work fine as a dash light flasher indicator. Hope this helps.

vern

thanks for the info. but i misunderstood the original post and thought you were talking about the bulb in the in the signal light, what  napa part #should they be. the reason i ask is my signal lights don't flash they just come on and after a while they flash slowly

gryphon

I found one of my old dash lights and took it down to NAPA to match up. Looked pretty close with the BP1895 and that seems to be working.

Those turn signal bulbs should be 1157 for the front (twin element, flasher/running light) and, if you have no rear running light, an 1156 in the back.

vern

thanks. thats what i thought, so it must be the flasher unit or could it be a bad ground from headlight to frame?

76shuvlinoff

In my flh I've just been using the round cheap Napa flashers at about $2 ea and they only last a couple years.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway