May 02, 2024, 12:38:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lower Idle with BH Cam

Started by fourthgear, June 23, 2016, 11:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthgear

Is anyone running a Andrews BH Cam in their Panhead & are you able to get the normal Idle . I installed one in my 65 that has a S&S stroker 84ci. with .80" over pistons , all newly rebuilt & after changing timing & Point gap several ways , I'm still not able to get the normal slower Idle I'm used to .
I have cleaned & inspected the CV 40 twice , I have the Timing & points set back to where I normally set them , the Bike starts & runs great , but when I lower the Idle , she just quits .
I have a rebuilt S&S E I can put on there & may do that just to see if the CV's Idle circuit is the issue , but before I change it out , I just wanted to hear if its the Cam over lap that just doesn't like the lower RPM I'm used to .
  Checked for Intake leaks & the way the motor runs , it can't be a fuel delivery issue . She will run with a slightly higher then normal Idle .
    Any idea's ?

rbabos

Quote from: fourthgear on June 23, 2016, 11:09:43 AM
  Is anyone running a Andrews BH Cam in their Panhead & are you able to get the normal Idle . I installed one in my 65 that has a S&S stroker 84ci. with .80" over pistons , all newly rebuilt & after changing timing & Point gap several ways , I'm still not able to get the normal slower Idle I'm used to .
I have cleaned & inspected the CV 40 twice , I have the Timing & points set back to where I normally set them , the Bike starts & runs great , but when I lower the Idle , she just quits .
I have a rebuilt S&S E I can put on there & may do that just to see if the CV's Idle circuit is the issue , but before I change it out , I just wanted to hear if its the Cam over lap that just doesn't like the lower RPM I'm used to .
  Checked for Intake leaks & the way the motor runs , it can't be a fuel delivery issue . She will run with a slightly higher then normal Idle .
    Any idea's ?
Sounds about right. Overlap generally needs a bit more rpm and fuel to idle right. I'd be guessing but it would need to be in the order of 1000 rpm at least.
Ron

fourthgear

Thanks for the reply , I kinda thought that after reading up on tuning the CV . I'm going to see tomorrow if my " Tiny Tac " will work with Points , it reads that its for Electronic Ignitions only , but I'm going to try it . I just can't get that steady lop " potato , potato , I'm used to , the Stroker Wheels probably have something to do with this also .
  I'll let this post know what I come up with , thanks again.

HogMike

Quote from: fourthgear on June 24, 2016, 05:20:34 PM
  Thanks for the reply , I kinda thought that after reading up on tuning the CV . I'm going to see tomorrow if my " Tiny Tac " will work with Points , it reads that its for Electronic Ignitions only , but I'm going to try it . I just can't get that steady lop " potato , potato , I'm used to , the Stroker Wheels probably have something to do with this also .
  I'll let this post know what I come up with , thanks again.

you may be correct on the wheels.........depending on what you have they MAY be the smaller diameter, light flywheels as I have in my 93" S&S motor,
Mine like to idle a little faster to smooth things out, it will never sound like a stock 61 or 74 with big flywheels and low compression
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal