clutchless 5 speed's or Back cut trans gears?

Started by westcomb, June 24, 2016, 05:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcomb

So I need to do a little work to my 5 speed been missing 3 rd gear a lot!  ............ While I'm in there tho ........... does anyone back cut the gears? or is there a way to mod the trans for clutchless shifting?

I ask because I used to cut my own trans gears when I drag raced 4 wheelers? ...... I had what is called a override trans and the difference a override trans made was huge! I would love to see a Harley trans shift like my 4 wheeler did!  :up:

If anyone has info that would be great! I have been thinking of just back cutting all the gears?  But every clutchless trans I have ever done needed a lot of shift drum work as well and I can not find any real info!

Not really looking to add a air shifter at this time? but maybe that is the only answer?

Just Nick

Call R&D Motorsports In Clearwater FL  727-443-4552 They can back cut your gear and get you what you want
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Azgunner

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Wicked

In a nutshell?  Better meshing of gears at power shifting because the backcutting allows the gears to help pull themselves together more.  Backcut wedge pulling against backcut opposite wedge....

turboprop

June 24, 2016, 06:40:16 PM #4 Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:46:49 PM by turboprop
Zippers also offers back cutting service for five speed gear sets. I just had a couple gear sets done, I think the cost was about $275 to do the complete gears set. Hard to believe a harley type five speed transmission could shift this smoothly and reliably. Dollar for dollar, this was probably the best under $300 upgrade I have ever done to a harley.

Worth pointing out is the process of back cutting gears is not a one size fits all type of thing. The customer must specify what type of use the transmission will see.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/5-speed-transmission-services.html
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

westcomb

I seen some info on the Zippers stuff! and it sounds like what I am after ............ thanks for the info!

I still need to pull my trans out and take a good look at it first ...... and at this point I'm not sure I could have it back in time for the AMRA race July 22 -24  :emoGroan: ........... So I may just be cutting it myself! If I mess it up I guess I will just eat the gear set  :beer:

Anyone have Pictures of a cut Harley 5 speed by chance!  :SM: