April 27, 2024, 07:05:38 AM

News:

hog tunes amp shutting down?

Started by 86fxwg, June 26, 2016, 08:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

2010 flux,stock heads unit,got tunes amp. After a 1/2 hour or so ride I'll loose sound for for 30 to 45 seconds then have sound again.
For diagnostic purposes I installed the radio out of my 06 flhx. Same issue,so I know the amp is over heating.
Amp is installed with hog tunes mounting hardware.
Question is,anyone had any luck running a duct up from the bottom of the fairing to help cool the amp.
Brain fart on my part but never looked to see if there is a built in fan on these amp.
Leaving in late July for Tuscon AZ,really don't want to deal with wife bitching about sound going in & out every couple miles once it heats up.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

UltraNutZ

What speakers are connected to amp?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

86fxwg

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 26, 2016, 08:20:13 AM
What speakers are connected to amp?
Hog tunes fairing & hog tunes in the lowers ultra.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

UltraNutZ

86 can you give us all the pertinent info on the amp and the speakers please sir.  model of each is what I'm looking for.  Need to make sure this is wired up correctly otherwise it will cause the amp to overheat.

86fxwg

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 27, 2016, 03:56:16 AM
86 can you give us all the pertinent info on the amp and the speakers please sir.  model of each is what I'm looking for.  Need to make sure this is wired up correctly otherwise it will cause the amp to overheat.
Il do that after work ultra.Thing Tthat's got me is,worked fine until we've had this heat wave.
I've got  hog tunes 4 channel amp in my 06 FLHX ,never an issue.
Had issues with this one before that Pez took care of @ the Cincinnati show. Customer service is second to none.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

UltraNutZ

Pez is known for his great customer service.  Can you reproduce this issue sitting still in your garage?

Do you know if it's a 2 channel amp with 4 speakers connected to it?

I'm trying to understand how it's wired so I can tell you which way to go first.  If it's what I think it is, it is a 2 channel with fairing and lowers wired in parallel.  If that's the case, I would disconnect the lower speakers and see what it does.  If it still does it, then reconnect the lower speakers and disconnect the fairing speakers and try it again.  If it does it again, you've already ruled out the head unit, and this procedure will rule out the speakers so it has to be the amp.  If it doesn't do it at each lower or fairing test points above, then those speakers disconnected are the problem. Now you would simply plug them in one at a time to determine which one is causing the issue.

86fxwg

4 channel amp,all hog tunes speakers. Problem with issues like this is its intermittent. We all know how that goes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

UltraNutZ

so you're saying you can't reproduce the issue sitting in your garage?  that makes it a bit more difficult to troubleshoot if so.

disconnect 1 pair of speakers at a time to see if it still over heats.  then chase it down from there if you find it doesn't

86fxwg

Quote from: UltraNutZ on June 28, 2016, 03:49:54 AM
so you're saying you can't reproduce the issue sitting in your garage?  that makes it a bit more difficult to troubleshoot if so.

disconnect 1 pair of speakers at a time to see if it still over heats.  then chase it down from there if you find it doesn't
No ultra,did it Saturday going to hardtail78's he's 95 miles from me. Did it 60 miles into the trip, then about every 5 miles loose sound then come back after 30 seconds.
First time it happened about a month ago I thought it was my iPod. Then it did it with the FM radio on.  :nix:
Il take ur suggestions & run with it.
Thanks Todd

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

UltraNutZ

Jason ought to be able to tune that issue right out then!  :-)

Tell him I said hello.

Coyote

If you have a helmet with a headset, I'd see if the audio is switching to the headset connector when it goes off.  Same as if you changed the speaker switch position.  Also look to see if any icons are lighting in the display, like INT or CB.

86fxwg

Quote from: Coyote on June 28, 2016, 06:41:55 AM
If you have a helmet with a headset, I'd see if the audio is switching to the headset connector when it goes off.  Same as if you changed the speaker switch position.  Also look to see if any icons are lighting in the display, like INT or CB.
no headset coyote. No icons,volume goes up & down,bass goes up & down. Just loose sound,then 30 seconds later comes back on.
gonna pull fairing after i bring it back from the drum & heat it up with a heat gun (carefully).
Even if i send back too Camron chances are there not gonna be able to duplicate it.
Got hog tunes in my 06 never an issue. This ones been a diffrent stor,Been repaired or warrientied once already.
There good people,if they feel there is an issue theyl take care of it.

Thanks gents

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

glens

Sounds like a thermal protection device kicking in, then back out when things cool down.  Does the amp have such internally?

86fxwg

Quote from: glens on June 28, 2016, 06:19:17 PM
Sounds like a thermal protection device kicking in, then back out when things cool down.  Does the amp have such internally?
Good ? I'm thinking it does. Can't remember a fan being on it.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

brent

is your amp fixed ive been looking at the hogtunes amp

UltraNutZ

Quote from: glens on June 28, 2016, 06:19:17 PM

yes all amps without fans have internal thermal protection, well anything above $19.99  :-)

A lot of them with fans also incorporate internal thermal protection as well.