May 01, 2024, 06:09:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

need a little help-advice

Started by roadkingdresser, June 27, 2016, 03:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

been working on this 1960 pan for a friend of mine. rewired got it started took it for ride -ran like a champ. he took it home and took it for a couple small rides. started to get a flat spot in the throttle and the throttle would stick shut. took the carb off today, got the filter off and cleaned it up. took the throttle apart and emmerried the carb some to stop the sticking. took the bowl off the spring under the main nozzle was missing. found a  spring and replaced it. carb didn't look bad inside. cleaned the main nozzle up and put it back together. started but still has the dead spot. if I put the choke down 1 notch it will rev up- but then it wants to choke the motor down. replaced the points and condenser and spark plugs. any help would be deeply appreciated-my legs getting worn down. thanks
roadkingdresser

fourthgear

I assume you are speaking of a Linkert Carb , Sounds like more then one issue , I haven't worked on a Linky for a bunch of years , I swapped both my Panheads to CV 40's .
   You may have a Throttle Plate worn out & or the Throttle Body, Throttle Plate shaft  , tuning may be an issue if the any one is the issue . The Linkert is a very tunable carb if in good shape & still runs even when not .
  I just sold my older Panhead & the only Linkert whent along with it with all its other parts , so I have nothing to give you comparison dimensions , but there should be some in the Manual or someone else here will come along with them .

roadkingdresser

thanks. so how did the cv40 work? is there an adaptor that fits to the pan manifold. and you had to change the throttle out to a cable.
roadkingdresser

fourthgear

I used S&S Manifolds for Panheads & there is an adapter available ( Ebay )to convert the CV 40 from the rubber boot to a two hole Flange that is light press fit ,pressed on the CV 40 , using a little ( very little  )  liquid steel to help seal it to the Carb  ,( what ever the brand name , I can't remember off the top of my head )
   I have the throttle on the outside , but some here have used the internal wire . There are plenty of articles on it & threads here , does't matter if its a PanHead or a Shovelhead , the only difference is the Manifold for each Motor being changed over . & some jetting differences  & don't forget a Brace for the Carb.
  My older Panhead I sold last year when I switched out to the CV 40 , I went from 34 MPG to around 50 MPG & the performance is a world away from the Great Linkert , one kick start warm or cold .
   I have one on my 65 & with the stroker kit works great , I am having an issue with wanting a lower idle , but its not the Carb , its the Cam I have in . The one I sold Idled perfectly wth a less aggressive Cam.
  CV Performance sells any Jets or small Parts you may need for them & has tuning kits & tuning tips .

roadkingdresser

thanks we"ll have to check into it. not having luck with the linkert at all.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

You mention the higher idle due to the performance cam. I find that quite appealing, when I hear a motor running a little angry due to performance mods. I can appreciate the traditional lope of the old motors, but I also like the higher idles needed for horsepower mods.
Now, alcohol motors? Totally cool!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fourthgear

I like that steady lope , " potato potato "   :up:   You can still hear it , but its just a little faster  .
Ya Alcohol is nice , love the smell too .

roadkingdresser

took the carb off again tore it down to nothing .cleaned it up  real good and it actually worked. waiting on a new throttle shaft and bushing.
roadkingdresser