April 27, 2024, 12:37:22 PM

News:

KNUCKLEHEAD FRONT MOTOR MOUNTS

Started by HOLMES, April 13, 2009, 06:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOLMES

To all;
I've had my bike apart for about 5 years and I was installing the motor into the frame. It seems that there might have been a spacer between the front mount and the engine. It's been so long I can't remember. I looked through all my stuff and can't find one and I can't find the part in the J&P cycle catalog ether.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Neil

iiggii

chris haynes

A spacer is needed only if you are putting it into a Panhead frame.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

ridgerider

i have a 47 knuck that i have put in a pan wishbone frame,,, it blew up a few years back.... would this have been caused by not haveing a spacer,,, where do i find  a spacer or do i need to make one?

rigidthumper

Easiest way to determine spacing is to set the engine in the frame, insert/tighten the rear two motor mount bolts, and measure the gap between the frame and the front mounts. Shim accordingly.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

chris haynes

A Knuck or UL engine in a Pan frame needs a 3/8" spacer between the front mount and frame. It must be a machined part with absolutely straight, flat surfaces to avoid damaging the cases. Also notice the the mounting bolt holes in the frame. One is larger than the other. The spacer must be the same.
Look in the 1948 H-D parts book. On page 20 you will find the UL engine cases. Notice that H-D used this spacer on the 1948 UL models that were in a Panhead frame.
NRA Member
Costco Member

ridgerider

thank you for the info,,,,is there a supplier or source for this needed mount?  my error i just bolted the motor in and ran it that way for about 18 years.

chris haynes

And I am sure that you can see damage to the motor mounts where it was not sittin flush on the frame.
Just have a friend with a mill make a 3/8" spacer for you. Be sure to do the one hole larger than the other and match that up with the holes in the frame.
NRA Member
Costco Member

iiggii

chris is correct ,if you dont make one i think v-twin may still sell one.