May 03, 2024, 01:39:59 AM

News:

Initializing a VTune

Started by greg1140, April 13, 2009, 09:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg1140

I read the instructions on how to initialize a VTune and they seem to have left a few things out. I am not sure of the exact steps needed to start a VTune and a little help would be appreciated from anyone that could wlalk me through it.
Greg

Herko

Quote from: greg1140 on April 13, 2009, 09:35:51 PM
I read the instructions on how to initialize a VTune and they seem to have left a few things out. I am not sure of the exact steps needed to start a VTune and a little help would be appreciated from anyone that could wlalk me through it.

Greg, send me a direct email from your email.
herko at insightbb dot com
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

greg1140

Thanks Herko...e-mail sent..
Greg

greg1140

just got back from a VTune but when we go to generate map we get all blank spaces. I renamed the data file to test run without the .001 ext. does that make a difference? I followed the VTne procedure exactly as written but no luck.
Greg

Hogflash

Sounds like no valid data was collected.  Which MT7 file did you install?  How did the VTune data look in Datamaster?  You can play back the file in Datamaster with the VTune histogram open and observe where the "x" tracker is and watch the cells turn green.  If no cells are turning green, then either there is not a MT7 file programmed into the ECM, or conditions are not correct for some reason (ie temperature, MAP, AE or DE fuel).  --Gary

WVULTRA

Quote from: greg1140 on April 19, 2009, 12:04:32 PM
just got back from a VTune but when we go to generate map we get all blank spaces. I renamed the data file to test run without the .001 ext. does that make a difference? I followed the VTne procedure exactly as written but no luck.

greg:

Why not try again......do a simple (non-moving) VTune Recording while sitting in the garage/driveway to make sure your laptop is communicating with the bike.  Make sure the bike is warmed up, and you can watch the VTune Histogram while sitting still.  Increase the rpm a bit and watch the "X" move to different parts of the Histo Map.

IMO, if you have positive communication with the bike's ECM before starting a VTune session, and upon returning there's no data then you may be loosing the USB connection from vibration while riding.  This is mentioned in the VTuning Help Files.  If so, a piece of Duct Tape will keep the USB plug in place.

Also make absolutely sure your laptop's power settings are configured for VTuning.  If it goes into hibernation/sleep mode it'll kill the VTune Session.

Don't know if not using the file extension matters, but let the software do the naming of the VTune Recording!

HTH's

:up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Steve Cole

Sounds like your missing something. Did you get any cells when recording data in the vtune mode that turned "green"? The name doesn't matter as long as you load it by the proper name in vtune but the first thing is to see if you are gathering any data. Just fire the bike and start a data recording of vtune data and what it while it sits still and runs. You will see the cells start to turn colors if you are collecting data. You must be using a MT7 file in the ECM or it will not work as well, so check to make sure you have programmed that in first.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

greg1140

Yes I saved a file with a MT7 ext that we labeled in mastertune with all settings to 0. We then opened up a datamaster run, started it and tried to see if any cells showed up after we did a run and they did not. I think our problem might be how we save the datarun. We would appreciate some help to make sure that we are saving our runs correctly. I think that might be where we have a problem. While we are in our data run we do see the engine temp, rpms and all other info so I know that we are recieving data but I am not sure we are saving it correctly.
Greg

greg1140

We also did do another run to make sure we were recieving data and we were. My other question is how long do you  have to run the bike at each rpm to get a cell set or adjusted...5sec,10 sec. It does seem like we didi not collect the data correctly.
Greg

WVULTRA

greg:

Just a basic question:  Did you actually select VTune Recording after opening the Data Master program?

:idea:

greg1140

Greg

Herko

Greg,
Sent an email earlier to the oakland dot addy.
Eyeballing the actual file(s) will speak a thousand....

WVULTRA

greg:

You may already have this; step by step instructions:

http://www.box.net/shared/32spoht1c5

Good luck!

Herko

Quote from: WVULTRA on April 19, 2009, 04:19:17 PM
greg:

You may already have this; step by step instructions:

http://www.box.net/shared/32spoht1c5

Good luck!

Thanks Ben,
I was wondering where you hid the download link.
John

greg1140

Thanks to all...we found out thgat the USB cable was coming loose and we were not gathering data. We also did not know to look for the cells to change and to make sure that we had a good data run before we saved.
Greg