April 30, 2024, 11:43:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CB Antenna on a Rushmore

Started by psrumors, July 12, 2016, 01:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psrumors

I have a RG Special to which I am adding a Tour Pak and the OEM LED light. The group with which I ride uses CBs to communicate especially when it is a large ride. I modified a bracket for the right side of the bike to match the stock AMFM antenna and installed a CB antenna there, between the fender and saddlebag. It works great and all the ultras are shocked at how clear the audio is, I am certain it is because it has a good ground and shielded coax to the plug.

The Tour Pak as we all know has a ring terminal that only brings half the coax to the antenna and drops the ground off at the metal plate in the bottom of the tour pak.

Does anyone know why Harley went the route they did inside the tour pak?

Anyone know a reason not to run a full piece of coax to the CB antenna and ground using a ring terminal like used with the AMFM antenna? The antenna connector itself can be changed to match that of the AMFM rather easily.

Coyote

The short bit of wire doesn't make any difference. As the wavelength goes, it's insignificant. I will say all of the ones I've checked are set too low in frequency. Trimming the element will bring them back up where they need to be and increase range. Clarity is more a function of what mic you use and if you are lucky enough to get a good cb module.

psrumors

Well, I am using a Sena 20s with their wired clamp kit. I will run the factory wiring and if other riders see a difference may be the guinea pig and try changing out the connector to the like of the AMFM antenna.

Thanks for the reply