2014 Street Glide front tire wear, Bearing issue?

Started by vtwinjim, July 13, 2016, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtwinjim

Only 20,000 miles on bike and original front tire.  Has ABS.

Right side of tire wearing more and unevenly.
I can feel a small amount of movement in RS non-ABS bearing with shaft installed and wheel off bike. Left ABS side feels a little tighter. Same results if I insert shaft in opposite direction. Just not sure if it's shaft to bearing movement or bearing only. Small amount of black oil like substance was on the shaft, both ends, when I removed it.
Makes no noise and seems to rotate smoothly.

Do these bearings wear out this soon?
How do you check the bearing?  Book shows a test with dial indicator but is that the best/only way.

Thanks in advance for response.

Jim

Zekedogg

I just had to replace the front wheel bearing on my 2013 Rosd Glide Ultra. It had 22,000 miles

bigfoot5x

I had noise from the front of my 2013 StreetGlide last year and was worried about the bearings. Then I replaced the tire at just over 20,000 miles. Noise and slight vibration went away. The old tire was cupped just enough to create the noise and vibration. Bearings were fine.

14GuineaPig

I have a 2014 FLHTK with 60,000+ miles on it.  I'm on my 4th set of stock HD-Dunlop tires.  So far most of the tires seem to cup and make some noise while leaning and cornering.  This usually doesn't start until after the tire has 10,000+ miles on it and it seems to get progressively worse with wear.  I've been changing both tires at 20,000 miles.  As for wheel bearings, I had to replace the 2 wheel bearings in the rear wheel at 60,000 miles.  The left side bearing had a lumpy feeling when I checked it during a tire change.

PoorUB

Chances are the tire is cupped and causing some noise. If you question the bearings, have a dealer look atthem, or just replace them. They are not that much money and better to be sure than have a bearing come apart and leave you stranded.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dmrdn

Typical Dunflop problem with the cupping. Noise when cornering is caused by The tires rolling off the center and the side treads not being worn down like the center of the tire

vtwinjim

Put new tire on and all seems good. Went with Dunlap Elite but not Harley original.

Didn't notice much noise before but who knows.

We'll see long this one lasts.

Thanks for replyies.