April 27, 2024, 09:54:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cannot clear stored code

Started by -deuced-, July 21, 2016, 11:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-deuced-

01 Deuce, carb. Spyball alarm.
Turn ignition on. Turn signals flash six times. Run TURN SIGNAL DIAGNOSTICS and get code 31, alarm output low.
Well, the alarm is as old as the bike. I removed the alarm module, opened it and removed the alarm battery. It measured 0.36 volts. Supposed to be 7.2 volts. There's ya problem, need a new battery.
The alarm is obsolete and I was unable to get a new battery so had the original battery repacked. There's two leads coming out of the battery that terminate in a female connector. This connector plugs into a two pin male socket on the circuit board. When I went to plug the new battery in I noticed one of the pins in the circuit board socket was missing. Found the pin in the battery plug. I desoldered the socket from the circuit board, cut the plug off the battery and soldered the battery leads directly to the circuit board. Reassembled and the alarm functions normally. Except the turn signals flash six times when I turn on the ignition. I've attempted to clear the historical code as per the EDM and get confirmation but......
Turn ignition on. Signals flash six times. Run TURN SIGNAL DIAGNOSTICS and still get code 31.

Any ideas?

BUBBIE

Have you disconnected the Bike Battery?

I had information on this type of Bike. Seemed to be ONE PAIN... I'll look and see IF I kept the Copied "how to do this" I did send it to our Boss.... Coyote... Never got posted tho.

I'll Be Back... :pop:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

BUBBIE

See if you can Make Heads to Tails of this.....

To diagnose the TSM/TSSM observe the behavior of the turn signals.
If the signals flash six fast 4-way flashes shortly after key on,
then an error code has been logged.

Code Types
There are two types of trouble codes:
Current and Historic.

If a trouble code is stored, it can be read using TSM/TSSM Diagnostics.
Current

Curent trouble codes are those which are present during the current
ignition cycle.
Historic

If a particular problem happens to resolve itself, the active status
problem is dropped and it becoes a historic code rather than a current code.
Intermittent output shorts can become typical historic codes.
Historic codes are stored for 50 ignition cycles.
It is important to note that historic codes will exist whenever the system
indicates the existence of a current fault.
Notes

*If the turn signals flash six four way flashes shortly after key on, it indicates an error code has been logged sometime in the last 3 ignition cycles. On vehicles with TSSM, the security lamp will also light for eight seconds after the bulb check if historic codes are present.

*The security lamp will stay on if current code(s) are set. If a historic code is present, the security lamp will light for 50 ignition cycles or until the code is cleared manually.

Invoking TSM/TSSM diagnostics
1: Set Run/Stop switch to off
2: Turn ign key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
3: Press the left turn switch two times and release.
*The signals flash 2 times for a Domestic TSSM
4: Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The signals flash 1 time.
5: Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The signals flash 2 times.
6: Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The signals flash 3 times.
7: Press the left turn switch 1 time and release.
*The signals flash out the trouble codes.
There is a 1.5 sec pause between flashes to distinguish between 1st and 2nd digit of codes.
There is a 4 second pause between codes, then it will loop and repeat codes.
If the light comes on for 4 seconds after invoking test then goes out for good,
there are no codes stored.....test over....turn ignition off.
Wait at least 10 seconds
before turning ignition on again.
8: To clear codes (after repairs) press and hold left turn switch for 4-5 seconds at end of test.
* The signals flash 2 times to confirm your request.

Hope this does it.... Let US know please...

signed....BUBBIE

HI Karl H....... :SM: see you looking here
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Karl H.

Hi BUBBIE! Nice to meet you here  :SM:

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rigidthumper

Sad truth is the TSSM is bad- there's an internal fault with the TSSM, and they have gone from the -00A part number to -00D (or E, i don't remember) to fix these.
Anyway, you need a new TSSM, or TSM is you no longer want the security/alarm. Clear the codes after you have replaced the unit and performed Password Learn.
HTH
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

-deuced-

Yeah, that procedure is "turn signal diagnostics". That's how I got code 31. The last step, hold down left turn signal switch for 4-5 seconds to clear code, turn signals flash twice to confirm request, turn ignition off
I tried holding the left turn signal switch down until the two flashes then release the switch then turn ignition off. I tried holding the left turn signal switch down until the two flashes then turn ignition off then release the switch. Same result. Next time I turn ignition on, six flashes.
Still got code 31, alarm output low.
Alarm is functioning. I can arm, disarm, disable, enable. When I trigger the alarm it's definitely not low output (where's those earplugs). I traced out all the wiring. Found one connection where the heatshrink was rubbed through although conductor was not exposed. Wrapped a bit of tape around it. Cleaned any seperable connections. Fuse terminal was a little corroded, cleaned it. Fuse looked ok but I couldn't get a consistent reading on it. I'll get a new fuse tomorrow.

Historic codes are stored for 50 ignition cycles. Do I have to actually start the bike fifty times?

748*2Risk

I have an '03 Dyna and tried all the stuff you did.  Only thing that worked for me was to disconnect the battery overnight.  Give it a try.
The hangovers hurt more than they used to.......

Karl H.

Quote from: -deuced- on July 22, 2016, 06:59:00 AM
Historic codes are stored for 50 ignition cycles. Do I have to actually start the bike fifty times?

No, just cycle the ignition!

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

-deuced-

I've had this problem for a couple of months, since the first ignition turn on after installing a new bike battery. There's been way more than fifty starts however I have disconnected the bike battery a few times and was wondering if the fifty countdown starts again when the bike battery is reconnected. There has been zero effect on performance. I thought the problem was the alarm battery and chose to ignore the signs pointing towards the TSM. Without starting the bike, I cycled ignition fifty times (ign on - run - off - ign off) and still get six flashes.
Hmmm, maybe ya can't clear the code because it's still current. D'oh!
Yeah, TSM is up to revision D.
TSSM is also up to revision D.

How many fobs do you get with a TSSM?

rigidthumper

1, but your original fob can be programmed to the new TSSM, they will hold two in memory.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

-deuced-

For your information, something I didn't mention, I'm using a DTT ignition. I replaced it with the stock ignition module and still got six rapid flashes when ignition turned on.
Just to be clear. I do not have a Turn Signal Security Module. I have a Turn Signal Module and an aftermarket alarm.
I had to order a new TSM. Well, it arrived, I plugged it in, connected the bike battery, turned the ignition on and....woohoo....no turn signal flashes. I ran Turn Signal Diagnostics, no codes. I did not try to start the bike as it's still in a state of disassembly. I bought some new solder and I'm going to open up the alarm and resolder the alarm battery leads because I think I could've done a better job on that.
Previously I asked about TSSM and fobs because I was pondering removing my alarm. I am not convinced about the factory security. Seems to me it would not be too difficult to unplug a TSSM and plug in a TSM.
Thanks for the replies to my posts and I apologise for the delay in the update but I had to wait for the part.