April 30, 2024, 10:46:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'07 Sportster Issues?

Started by fbn ent, July 25, 2016, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Wife's '07 Nightster has 40K Miles now....any known issues to address (lifters, etc.) ?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Panzer

Hi guy, I own a 1200c 07' , engine untouched and runs great, bought it new and still looks new.
What questions do you have?
Lifters, no problem, fuel and oil pumps no problems reported, hardly any problems at all that I know of.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fbn ent

Hey Panz  :up: ...... just read somewhere the lifters need attention somewhere around her mileage. Only problem she's had is she broke those bolts (screws) that retain the pivot shaft for the swing arm. Made for a wicked wobble in sweepers at around 75 mph and took me a while to find. Think it was someone here that said it is a well known issue.  :dgust:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Panzer

No help here, can't say as I heard of that problem on lifters or the arm.......sorry.
Will keep ears open as always.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

aswracing

Yes, the issue with those bolts on the rear isolator shearing is a known issue. Really ought to be a recall on that, it's a safety issue.

Couple other issues in the motor to be aware of. One is the oil pump drive gear on the pinion shaft. When the flywheels get a little spread, the runout causes that gear to wear badly in one area. 180 degrees from that area it'll look like new. Eventually it fails, and it's ugly when it does. Shrapnel all through the motor.

It's mostly an issue with motors that see high rpm frequently, as that induces spread. It used to be a bad problem with Buells. In 2006, HD came out with a bronze gear to solve the problem. But they only put it in Buells. XL's don't make enough power to make it a big issue - although I've seen them fail in relatively stock XL's. But it at least makes it past warranty.

Bottom line, it's something to check and a good piece of preventative maintenance. The bronze gear is part number 26391-06. You also need a pinion locking tool. Don't crank on that pinion nut with your foot on the brake, you risk slipping the crank. Do it right. Also see this about the nut torque: http://www.hammerperf.com/ttxlcaminstall.shtml#pinionnut

The other issue is the spring plate that's embedded in the clutch. It's held together with brass rivets. Lots and lots of these have failed. Just get an extra plate clutch kit and get rid of the stupid thing. I like the Energy One kit.

Those are really the only weak points in the motor. Lifters don't seem to be nearly as much of an issue as they are in Twin Cams. Although there are quieter lifters available.