April 27, 2024, 09:51:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

V-Rod Touring Model?

Started by Bagdaddyo, April 14, 2009, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagdaddyo

Went riding this weekend and stopped by a few dealerships. One dealership tried very hard on selling me a new bike. As we talked the salesman mentioned that he has heard strong rumors (like all of us) that the Rode Glide is going to be the first touring bike with the V-Rod engine in a couple of years.

Anyone here this as well???

neale

Try going to Todds Harley Pics and have a look at his impressions of V-Rod Tourers and such.

14Frisco

Saw a v-rod with road glide fairing and hard bags on craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1360907366.html

rbonner

Do a search on Greg Wick he's one of the Hamster guys he's an OK guy, had Brian Klock not ok guy build the yellow "V" bagger back in 05...  I think Willie G took some pics and has them in his top desk drawer waiting for them to fall out and build another 1971 Boat tail superglide out of them DETAILS to follow.

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

04glide

Randy at Cyclevisions has been making them for years. He is a Hamster club member BTW.

rbonner

Yes I have met Randy, he does great work.   BOB

bikerider58

This is the problem.  HD is stuck in the cruiser mind set.  Yes, a know a road glide type of bike would sell.  Look around all the RG and FL batwing bikes and kits out there.  But, the V-rod engine can do much more. 

They need to get one or two Buell engineers to help design a sport touring bike.  Not a racer or sport bike, but a true ST with wind protection, 1,000 mile a day comfort, detachable luggage, and the ability to work the canyon roads.

rbonner

Eric Buell just declared war with the Harley brass.  They were busy telling him to make things like Buell Detonators (blast) and things like that.  They made some bikes with bags and bigger fairings and they sold so-so. Then the parent complains his net was down...  BS.  Buell makes asphalt carving bikes and had gotten off their focus forced by the MoCo.  In the process Eric squished that last Blast into an end table with a car crusher.  He's back to making lightning bikes.

For baggers, Harley is on their own.  They do have a new base for a great bike in the Revolution Motor.  I really like ours.  But, they are going to need to build a real bagger from the ground up using the VR motor to make it work good as a bagger....  We'll see what they do.

BOB

WrenchinRider

Well, we all know what happened w/Buell by now.  Although I'm  perfectly happy w/ my air cooled HD, I do believe that Hd could,and should build a water cooled touring bike alongside  their current lineup. I agree with earlier comments that this should be a true St type bike. Even if the Buell engineers have scattered,any body that can get the current motors to pass EPA emissions should be able to build such a bike. I like the V-Rod for what It Is,But don't think it's the correct motor for a heavier St type Bike. The revolution motor does not have the torque,gearing and flat torque curve loved by loved by most people on Touring HD's. Different gearing,camshaft changes and other such things could make It closer to whats needed,but I think a complete new engine would be a better Idea eventually.
04 Road King/ police