April 27, 2024, 11:17:27 AM

News:

1937 UL

Started by codyshop, April 15, 2009, 11:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

Just took this in for sale.  1937 UL 74" 4-spd and it runs.  PM me for details.   Thanks, Ray
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/marmadukeruggles/1937UL001.jpg

Hogman

B E A U T I F U L !!!!!!!!!!!!   I WOULD Accept it if you want to GIVE it to me.....  :hyst:   I WISH Man, VERY NICE! I'd love to ride it Just the way it is! Damn, I Just remembered, I Forgot to buy a Lotto Ticket!!! (sorry to be Ramblin, but can ya Tell I Just LOVE the Old Stuff, and it's Patine????)
Hogman

chris haynes

Talk about a Frankenstein! It would take small fortune to bring this one back to stock. 1940 tank badges, 1947 and later tail light, Cats Eye dash, Home made exhaust, Post war seat, Panhead kicker cover, Panhead saddle bags, '48 Panhead fenders, Mickey Mouse oil lines, wiring looks like a bowl of spaghetti. Can't see enough of the frame to tell what it is. Whats with the giant spring on the brake pedal? Who knows what horrors better pictures would bring out. :rtfb:
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

codyshop

Quote from: chris haynes on April 16, 2009, 11:13:50 AM
Talk about a Frankenstein! It would take small fortune to bring this one back to stock. 1940 tank badges, 1947 and later tail light, Cats Eye dash, Home made exhaust, Post war seat, Panhead kicker cover, Panhead saddle bags, '48 Panhead fenders, Mickey Mouse oil lines, wiring looks like a bowl of spaghetti. Can't see enough of the frame to tell what it is. Whats with the giant spring on the brake pedal? Who knows what horrors better pictures would bring out. :rtfb:

Hey man, I'm just the messenger.  Not asking for opinions.  Ray

Hogman

:wtf:  Sorry Ray, Guess I should not have said anything  :embarrassed:. I Was Only Stating MY Opinion on the Bike. Can't help what *I* Like, didn't mean for anyone to feel Put out, and Have to make what sounds like Rude Comments. I Will Not say Anything about any more Pics of Bikes that *I* Like. To ME, the Bike is what Riding is All about, RIDING, not some Trailer Queen Museum piece. You Do What You HAVE to do, to RIDE these Things. Know what I mean. Hope you were not offended or embarrassed by My Comments on a Bike/Pic, *I* Liked. Won't Happen again my Friend. (Thanks for Posting the Pic Just The Same. I Will only Look and Admire from afar from now on ANY Pic You Post from now on, so No One will feel the Need to..... well, You Know what I mean) My Apologies Sir...........
Hogman

codyshop

Sorry...was havin' a bad day.  Sellin' it for his widow and kids and just tryin' to help out.  Ray

chris haynes

I was not making any rude comments. Only pointing out obvious things wrong so that some unknowing person would not think it was all original and later find out he had bought a money pit.
NRA Member
Costco Member

Ultrashovel

Well, regardless of whether it's original or not, finding a machine that is relatively complete is the start of a restoration. I have no idea what it might sell for but it could be brought to original for a few thousand beyond the purchase price.

It's 71 years old and still all together. I'd sure love to have it. I really like the flathead Harleys. They were a great sidecar machine as well.

Snuff™

So...Does anyone know what an older restored '37 UL that is pretty much correct and runs would sell for? :pop:

Chris???

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Snuff™

Quote from: Snuff on May 12, 2009, 06:44:13 PM
So...Does anyone know what an older restored '37 UL that is pretty much correct and runs would sell for? :pop:

Chris???

What....nobody wants to touch this?

Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Ultrashovel

May 29, 2009, 06:17:06 PM #10 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:40:48 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: Snuff on May 29, 2009, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: Snuff on May 12, 2009, 06:44:13 PM

Chris???

What....nobody wants to touch this?

Snuff :beer:

It's not that no one wants to touch it. It's just that the answer to such a question might be anyone's guess. For one thing, UL's are rather rare. On the other hand, they were never the most popular bike. Also. there are few comparable sales with which to compare.

If it were a 1937 Knucklehead and well-restored, pretty much the sky's the limit, depending upon who's considering buying it. There was a 1937 61" EL Police bike for sale on eBay about six months ago. IIRC, he wanted around $55K and it failed to bring the reserve. It was immaculate and correct in every way. It didn't sell but on another day it might bring that.

chris haynes

That is clearly a 1937 police bike, not a 1936. The EL made its debut in 1936 and a year later the UL appeared. There were many more UL models made than EL's. Between 1936-1938 6,207 Knuckleheads were built. But in 1937/'38 10,557 UL models were made.
NRA Member
Costco Member

Ultrashovel

May 30, 2009, 03:47:43 PM #12 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:40:21 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: chris haynes on May 30, 2009, 12:13:47 PM
That is clearly a 1937 police bike, not a 1936. The EL made its debut in 1936 and a year later the UL appeared. There were many more UL models made than EL's. Between 1936-1938 6,207 Knuckleheads were built. But in 1937/'38 10,557 UL models were made.

You may well be right.

ohio-rider

NADA values a 1937UL as follows.
Excellent condition.......$22,400
Very good condition.....$13,900
Good condition............$$8,400

They don't claim to be vintage motorcycle experts and say so on their site.
They base their values on the sale prices of recently sold machines. Over the years I have noticed that there estimated prices where some what on the low end of the scale.

Ultrashovel

Quote from: ohio-rider on June 09, 2009, 06:19:24 AM
NADA values a 1937UL as follows.
Excellent condition.......$22,400
Very good condition.....$13,900
Good condition............$$8,400

They don't claim to be vintage motorcycle experts and say so on their site.
They base their values on the sale prices of recently sold machines. Over the years I have noticed that there estimated prices where some what on the low end of the scale.

Those prices would seem to be close to me from what I've seen at Vintage Motorcycle auctioins and shows. The ELs and FLs are going for much more than that now if they are nice.