Quick release connection on the gas tank

Started by munsons123, August 09, 2016, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munsons123

I have a 2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide that has gas leaking from the quick release connection on the gas tank. Can I do away with the whole connection and replace it with the old style petcock?

SixShooter14

Howdy, welcome to the site.

I'd suggest asking in the General Tech forum. Or the Twin Cam forum
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Tynker

Quote from: munsons123 on August 09, 2016, 12:27:41 PM
I have a 2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide that has gas leaking from the quick release connection on the gas tank. Can I do away with the whole connection and replace it with the old style petcock?
No you can't. Why not just do it right ??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

munsons123

Tynker, I have done it right 4 times since buying the bike 4 years ago, so at this point I am just looking to see if there are any other options out there. It is stressful having the bike in the garage waiting for parts more than on the road in the wind. It is a stupid little $50 part but no one in my area can seam to get it in less than 2 weeks each time (longer most of the time). This is the second time this year, and the first time I lost the entire month of June. I am just hoping this time is quicker.

Ohio HD

What is failing? Generally only an o-ring is what causes the leak. That being said, unless the line is removed a lot, they usually don't leak.

Tynker

Quote from: munsons123 on August 10, 2016, 04:58:47 AM
Tynker, I have done it right 4 times since buying the bike 4 years ago, so at this point I am just looking to see if there are any other options out there. It is stressful having the bike in the garage waiting for parts more than on the road in the wind. It is a stupid little $50 part but no one in my area can seam to get it in less than 2 weeks each time (longer most of the time). This is the second time this year, and the first time I lost the entire month of June. I am just hoping this time is quicker.

Are you just replacing the outer line,the one from the tank to the injectors ??If so ,you might replace the inside line as well. It is more trouble, but it will solve your problem, for sure.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

munsons123

Once the connection is on, it is on until it leaks. I have had both replaced once and the other times just the outer line. I have tried 2 different shops. They both tell me the same thing "Oh you must have gotten a bad part" So this time I ordered it and am going to install myself to see if it makes a difference. I just didn't know if it was possible to go back to the old style connection with this particular bike. It is just frustrating because there are not a lot of good riding days here and we need to make the most of them. My daughter read this post a few days ago that said "In order to be a biker the bike needs to leave the yard" Then looked at me and said "I think this is talking to you this year"  Not funny. :banghead:

Ohio HD

Are they using OEM parts? Possibly they are using some aftermarket stuff that isn't holding up? It's not that common of a problem is why.

Maybe try this? At least it costs less.

http://fueltool.com/products/fuel-line-rebuild-kit/

munsons123

Thanks all for the info.  Hopefully soon I will be :chop:

Karl H.

August 10, 2016, 11:19:12 AM #9 Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:21:24 AM by Karl H.
This is the o-ring that does the sealing job and has to be replaced. It's in the female side of the connector:

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

munsons123

Thanks for the incite everyone. The new line and o-ring went on rather easy and now we are counting the miles again.