May 04, 2024, 01:23:47 AM

News:

HPI 51mm T.B. vrs Harley 54mm T.B.

Started by tireater, November 10, 2008, 06:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

Looking for a bigger throttle body for my 06 St Bob 103" WT26 build...Is there a downside to the Harley T.B. ?
I can get one for $400 now...Or wait until xmas and get the HPI T.B. .......Any thoughts..? Thanks
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Mike52

In my opinion, I would wait until next X-mas if it meant the difference in getting the HPI over the HD. HPI is a work of art, the HD is mediocre junk, you definitely get what you pay for here, don't make another mistake by going the cheapest route. BTW, the HPI is what I used on both of my 120hp WT TC26 builds.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

tireater

Mike....You and 10% off talked me into the HPI T.B. ... Which size should I buy for the 103" build..? Thanks
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Mike52

If it were mine, anywhere from 51-55mm, you won't hurt it by going a little bigger like you would with a carb that's too big, throttle bodies work differently.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

mtnmotorrider

On the subject of throttle bodies, if a guy just can't see his way clear to spend $600 or $700 on a HPI or Zippers unit, what is the worth of the modified OEM ones like from Dakota Kid or BC Gerolomy?  They are half the price.  And, is the '07 one piece version worth the investment, or only the earlier two piece models?  What is the big diffeerence between the aftermarket and OEM designs, other than size?
Thanks
I like most dogs better than most people.

mtnmotorrider

hotroadking

MTN I can't say it won't make a difference but only from experience on an Evo we had a throttle body bored out for a modifed 80 CUI EFI bike, after heads, cams, pistons etc the stock intake was insufficient to flow to the heads needs.

However the result of the Dakota Kid work, which was not bad work btw, was that it didn't do anything per the dyno.

Now a different shop did a throttle body upgrade for a semi hot 95 inch bagger and it made a big difference, Bill at www.bishopsperformance.com can do your intake and you should talk with him about the work you've done, flow numbers etc.

Also dropped a HPI 58 on a nice 103 and it really helped over the stock 103 intake and it is a piece of art no doubt. 

wfolarry

Don't waste your money re-working a 1-piece throttle body. You'll gain nothing.

GoFast.....

Quote from: tireater on November 10, 2008, 06:58:16 AM
Looking for a bigger throttle body for my 06 St Bob 103" WT26 build...Is there a downside to the Harley T.B. ?
I can get one for $400 now...Or wait until xmas and get the HPI T.B. .......Any thoughts..? Thanks
check out my latest post on tb
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

mtnmotorrider

Thanks guys,I've been following that other thread too, and just posted the same question there.  So far though, no one has explained to me what the big difference is between the OEM and aftermarket TB's that makes them work better.  I'm guessing runner configuration/ length.