May 09, 2024, 12:30:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

When I put the amp in I (using the JM brackets a few months ago,,......it appear

Started by Stang951, August 14, 2016, 03:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stang951

When I put the amp in I (using the JM brackets a few months ago,,......it appears that I cross threaded one of the bolts. Only found out because I have a broken fairing bracket.

WTF can I do with this damned thing. Ended up having to cut the head off the bolt to get the radio out. The brass insert just spins. It couldnt be on the side with the heatsink either, had to be on the chassis side. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Since I posted this somewhere else I took the top off and was able to remove the bolt. Threads dont look TOO bad, but the insert just spins, wont stay tight anymore. So even if I re-tap it, it will still just spin.

Thanks

UltraNutZ

Stang951.  Use jbweld to plant that brass insert back into metal case of the radio after you re-tap the clean the threads.  Let it set overnight at least to bond thoroughly and throw it back in there.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Stang951

Thanks Ultra, that is what I ended up doing. I emailed IC about it and they informed me that when they run across these they replace the entire chassis. They only wanted $40.00 or so to do it, but I dont want to be without my radio in the bike for that long. Have rides this weekend (if the weather cooperates).

And just to give you a good laugh, I freaked out when I put it back in last night, had to change the PN4520 mounting up with the Alloy Art fairing supports. WEll in the process of shifting everything around I hit the HP/LP switches on the amp. to LP. When I turned the radio on I did freak out because it only sounded like the rear was working. Took me a while to figure out what I had done and correct it.

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Stang951

OK. Got everything back together, except now with the Alloy Art brackets, the amp no longer fits in the fairing. It appears that with the Alloy Art mounts the amp is lifted about 1/2" which now causes it to hit the fairing. Unless someone has some suggestions, it looks like I have an amp for the truck and will have to save the bones to bet the biketronics amp.