May 01, 2024, 01:55:53 PM

News:

Anti Back Lash Gear ( Transmission )

Started by HV, August 23, 2016, 08:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV

Here's another feature: In a trans-mission, you can get sound at a stop when it's hot due to freewheeling gears and lash. We addressed that by adding an anti-backlash transmission gear. Now there's another piece making the bike quiet.
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

koko3052

Gee... they pat themselves on the back for reducing the number of parts in the engine...then add some to the transmission! :hyst:

Rockout Rocker Products

Wonder if that will stop the KLANK into first?
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rbabos

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 23, 2016, 11:18:58 AM
I think it's more for neutral rattle.
Ron

koko3052

Quote from: rbabos on August 23, 2016, 12:28:03 PM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 23, 2016, 11:18:58 AM
Ron

I'm wondering how that's connected to the valve train? :emoGroan: :potstir:

FSG

Ron

:up:  first gear countershaft is using a "scissor gear" to reduce neutral rattle

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on August 24, 2016, 12:42:05 AM
Ron

:up:  first gear countershaft is using a "scissor gear" to reduce neutral rattle

Now there's a clever bandaid if I ever saw one. Not sure about long term life of the teeth? I think between the two, the rattle might be more desirable. :idunno:
Ron
Ron

ultraswede

August 24, 2016, 06:39:21 AM #7 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:55:01 AM by ultraswede
Quote from: rbabos on August 24, 2016, 06:18:10 AM
Ron

Now there's a clever bandaid if I ever saw one. Not sure about long term life of the teeth? I think between the two, the rattle might be more desirable. :idunno:
Ron

Ron

This exact design was used in the gear box on Saab two stroke cars in the 50s and 60s.
A lot can be said about the reliabillity of those, but the scissor gear did work.

rbabos

Quote from: ultraswede on August 24, 2016, 06:39:21 AM
Ron

Ron

This exact design was used in the gear box on Saab two stroke cars in the 50s and 60s.
A lot can be said about the reliabillity of those, but the scissor gear did work.

Ron
I've seen them on camshaft gears before for the same reason, to stop over lobe center chatter. Fairly common adaptation actually. I guess as long as heat treatment is ok and load carrying not compromised it should be fine. This gear looks thin to me, that's all but again, spring rates are unknown so that would determine wear amounts.
Ron

Ohio HD

Ron

Ron
Ron

I guess Andrews will have to get back in the transmission gear business....   :smilep:

BUBBIE

:hyst:

Didn't some use Sawdust in the old days (added to the Gear oil).... Especially when selling their Noisy what-evers?

Now, Don't get the Idea I tried that... But it Does work... Hard wood small chips worked the best and lasted a little longer in a Rear-end...

Kinda why I use Shockproof today... Every Little Bit helps... :SM:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

DOM

Sounds like they put massive R&D into quieting all unneeded noises so they could keep the exhaust at a decent level.  So less valvetrain noise, less transmission rattles, every little bit helps.

glens

The primary drive was a spring-loaded split gear on my '83 V45 Honda.  Didn't have the InterWeb yet, but never heard of any problems with it.

88b

Mitsubishi used the same idea on the input shaft. We tried it at Ford but the bean counters stopped it.

ghillman

Quote from: rbabos on August 24, 2016, 06:56:53 AM
Quote from: ultraswede on August 24, 2016, 06:39:21 AM
Ron

Ron

Ron,  Do you know if this " Scissor Gear " will drop right in the '16 and prior trans and wondering if it would make a difference?  Was at HD Sat. had my parts guy look up the gear for the '17  it's $59.35. It's 1st gear  price is right, just wondering what else if anything they did in the'17's and would it make a difference in the rattle in '16 and prior? 

Thinking a little winter garage therapy, just for chits and grins to see.. Greg   

Ron
I've seen them on camshaft gears before for the same reason, to stop over lobe center chatter. Fairly common adaptation actually. I guess as long as heat treatment is ok and load carrying not compromised it should be fine. This gear looks thin to me, that's all but again, spring rates are unknown so that would determine wear amounts.
Ron

Karl H.

Mercedes uses these scissor gears in its recent engines (camshaft drive).

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15