May 09, 2024, 05:31:18 AM

News:

127" Evo issues/teardown

Started by beerman1378, August 23, 2016, 02:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

Maybe Pete will give a break on price, if not you can buy the same set (or singles) direct from Smiths for quite a bit less, without the Zippers logo on them...

beerman1378

I know the Ultima 127" states the pushrod length is +.250 longer than stock, but a bunch of people say they use stock size EVO adj pushrods.  Wouldn't an "adjustable" pushrod take up this .250 or am I short a chromosome when it comes to pushrod length, travel distance, etc?? 

:cry: :cry: :cry: I just want a pushrod that works with the 127"! :cry: :cry: :cry:

:banghead:

rageglide

Using standard Evo adjustables should be fine.  There's quite a bit of adjustment range and you should be fine. 

Buy a set from Smiths, compare the pushrod length with the pushrods you have now.  If you have concerns with how much adjuster engagement the Smiths have, call Smiths Bros and talk with them.  They're good guys.   If you're really concerned about the pushrods you could always go to a custom length from Smiths...

beerman1378

Quote from: rageglide on August 26, 2016, 08:59:19 AM
Using standard Evo adjustables should be fine.  There's quite a bit of adjustment range and you should be fine. 

Buy a set from Smiths, compare the pushrod length with the pushrods you have now.  If you have concerns with how much adjuster engagement the Smiths have, call Smiths Bros and talk with them.  They're good guys.   If you're really concerned about the pushrods you could always go to a custom length from Smiths...

And the length of the pushrods are measured from the collapsed state correct?  Sorry if these questions sound newbie-ish, but I'm learning more and more as I go!

rageglide

You want to compare the pushrods in an extended state in order to determine if the new pushrods have adequate range of adjustment.  The body lengths vary between all the different manufacturers so you can't really compare that way.  If you removed your old pushrods from the top of the engine, vs loosening them you could use them for comparison.  Use the Front Exhaust pushrod as your gauge because it's always the longest. 

turboprop

Quote from: beerman1378 on August 26, 2016, 09:22:36 AM

And the length of the pushrods are measured from the collapsed state correct?  Sorry if these questions sound newbie-ish, but I'm learning more and more as I go!

I assume you have the pushrods that came out of the 127, and hopefully they have not been adjusted since the engine was taken apart. Measure each of them. They will all have a different length. No need to be very precise either.. Just pull a tape and measure them. Then call Smith Bros, or Zippers, and give them all four lengths. They will set you up with a set of four that each of them is near the middle of their adjustment  at the lengths you give them. This is not custom. Evo, and TC pushrods can be ordered from Smith Bros and Zippers, individually, by length at no extra cost. You just have to ask.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

beerman1378

Quote from: turboprop on August 26, 2016, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: beerman1378 on August 26, 2016, 09:22:36 AM

I assume you have the pushrods that came out of the 127, and hopefully they have not been adjusted since the engine was taken apart. Measure each of them. They will all have a different length. No need to be very precise either.. Just pull a tape and measure them. Then call Smith Bros, or Zippers, and give them all four lengths. They will set you up with a set of four that each of them is near the middle of their adjustment  at the lengths you give them. This is not custom. Evo, and TC pushrods can be ordered from Smith Bros and Zippers, individually, by length at no extra cost. You just have to ask.

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing that soon!

beerman1378

Just a pic of my current pushrods.

beerman1378

The Ultima rocker ratio is 1.675 with the MW264 cam. I was looking into the Redshift 656V2 cam.

The specs for the currrent cam I have are:

Timing information is Open/Close @ .053
Int 24/60 264 Dur Lift .640 TDC .218 Lobe Center 108
Ex 68/20 268 Dur Lift .600 TDC .200 Lobe Center 114
Lobe Sep 111 Overlap 44

I know I'm going to have to die grind a tad. But would the Redshift work with those stock rockers? I think the valve lift with Redshift is .648