April 30, 2024, 06:23:08 AM

News:

74 Shovelhead Pushrod noise

Started by 11streetguy, August 25, 2016, 04:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11streetguy

August 25, 2016, 04:00:35 PM Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:05:24 PM by 11streetguy
Got this bike running for a Friend. Both front intake and exhaust pushrods are loud. went through adjustment and still loud. H.D service manual says adjust at lowest position. Rear intake at highest and adjust front at its lowest. take out shake then 4 full turns.Saw some videos saying 3 full turns. they are stock pushrods and hydraulic lifters. anyone have any ideas ? Wondering if lifters are bad ?Sounds like the Noise is loud at rocker where pushrod sits in rocker arm.

dsvracer

11streetguy

bounces 40- 38 psi. I'll have to check when its hot.

Racepres

August 25, 2016, 04:13:02 PM #3 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:17:42 PM by Racepres
Love the service manual...but...First...we talking Hydro's or Solids??
Are we to just believe that 43 years later it is all stock??
If Hydros, Search the Various Forums for the Dry Method, and do it on the compression stroke for each cylinder...
Hasn't failed me yet..

BTW If it really has that much oil pressure...It is gonna leak out someplace....

westcomb

Shovels are pretty old now ...... If those lifters are stock its likely there junk! if there not stock tho? ........... what brand?

some require a different adjustment than stock! and could end up giving you unwonted extra problems!

Stock shovel lifters just plane suck! not a very good HYD unit in them and prone to ticking and loosing pressure ....... you need to pump them up before there going to stop making noise as well ......... Stick a pick into the hole in the plunger and there is a valve that will release air in the lifter body .......... push the lifter plunger down till its hard to push ...... than adjust them  :up:

I have the best answer yet tho .......... running stock lifters still ......... convert to a solid! buy the cheep solid kit and set them and move on! ...... as a solid its going to make some noise tho! if you cant live with the clicking sound than pony up for a set of good aftermarket lifters! Valva touch being the top pick! ....... there are others out there as well! ....... also remember different pushrods can take different adjustments as well! so know what your dealing with first off! ........ and solids do not adjust like a HYD lifter so swapping to a solid make sure you know how to adjust them!

Burnout

Don't shovels use rocker arm shims? Perhaps some attention in this area?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on August 27, 2016, 08:29:07 AM
Don't shovels use rocker arm shims? Perhaps some attention in this area?

If you mean those Nasty Wavy Washers...No you should Not...They are the devil...
Do the Rocker shafts the right way on your Shovelhead and be problem free..

Ratman1640

I had the same problem just loose the hydros and go with the solids lifters. You can get a conversation kit front JP cycle's for 20 bucks and that's what I did after putting in new lifters and new rocker arms !! Just me I know your pain !!  Rat man
where every you go..... there you are.......

BKACHE

Could it have had solid lifters and now you are trying to go to hydro?
The reason I ask is the solid stroker kits that are sold use plugs in the lifter blocks since high pressure to the lifters is no longer and issue. dripping down the inner of the tubes is sufficient. The allen headed plugs may be restricting flow and also giving higher pressure elsewhere.
One more thing to check.   
Dan

dirtymike

have to do the adjustment to a cold engine, cold like the next day.

byob

Inspect hydraulic units for leaking check valves.  Remove unit and separate piston and body.  Should be wet with oil.  Should be resistance compressing piston.  If it leaks down quickly,  check valve may stuck open or piston-body gap worn. 

I have updated hydraulics,  and when set, they're quiet