May 02, 2024, 02:40:54 AM

News:

2-1 and other exhausts

Started by Nastytls, August 25, 2016, 05:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

How long do you guys think it will take for aftermarket pipes to hit the market? Most aren't going to be happy with the SE options as they are pretty quiet. I'm guessing the exhaust manufacturers have to buy an off the shelf bike to get their measurements and do their R&D on.

Khaotic

You can't put aftermarkets on now unless you want to void your warranty anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hattitude

Quote from: Nastytls on August 25, 2016, 05:56:35 PM
How long do you guys think it will take for aftermarket pipes to hit the market? Most aren't going to be happy with the SE options as they are pretty quiet. I'm guessing the exhaust manufacturers have to buy an off the shelf bike to get their measurements and do their R&D on.

On another forum, Jaime @ Fuelmoto said they received their 2017 Road Glide today. They are going to break it in then do some base dyno runs. They already can read/write to the new ECM with a PowerVision tuner.

They will be playing with tuning strategies and are going full speed ahead working on performance tunes. I bet it won't be too long before they have a head pipe/ Air Cleaner/ mufflers and eventually their own 114 & 117 upgrade kits go to go...

Just like they did w/twin cams, Rushmores, and now the Milwaukee 8...

They worked real fast, with DynoJet, to get performance mods up & running when the Rushmores came out....

From what I've read this motor design has plenty of room for performance upgrades...   :baby:

Nastytls

Quote from: Khaotic on August 25, 2016, 06:32:10 PM

Not true. Legally they can't deny warranty for an exhaust swap unless they could prove the exhaust caused the specific failure, regardless of what the EPA wants. Even if they could, you could just swap the stock exhaust back on before bringing in for service.

Smarty

D&D already has a 17 and working on the head pipe too.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Hybredhog

August 26, 2016, 09:25:36 AM #5 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:28:47 AM by jeffscycle
   I'm kind of impressed by how fast all the Aftermarket suppliers are able to get a genie pig for testing. I guess H-D sees it as future free R&D or something, and don't stand in the way?

I do bet there's going to be an adjustable rocker arm or ones with those baby lifters (like Chrysler), in them, if there is enough oil pressure.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

glens

August 26, 2016, 10:09:57 AM #6 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:16:51 AM by glens
Quote from: Nastytls on August 26, 2016, 05:34:41 AM
Quote from: Khaotic on August 25, 2016, 06:32:10 PM

Not true. Legally they can't deny warranty for an exhaust swap unless they could prove the exhaust caused the specific failure, regardless of what the EPA wants. Even if they could, you could just swap the stock exhaust back on before bringing in for service.

Not true.  Legally, they cannot (MUST NOT) honor any drivetrain warranty claims on '17-and-later bikes if any of the pollution control equipment has been replaced/modified from/with other than stock or pre-approved (EPA-certified) stock replacement parts/programming.  Didn't you read the recent governmental decree?

[add:  I'll guarantee the "Clean Air Act" will trump the "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act" every time]

Nastytls

Well I'd have an army of lawyers itching to go after  HD, they would have a class action suit of significant size in short order. Nowhere have I read that altering you'd bike voids the warranty, only that it "may". That's a far cry from void. They can't do it. The EPA doesn't get to write law, only enforce it.

rigidthumper

Did you read the complaint and settlement letter?  HD is required to do more than just pay millions in fines. 
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Nastytls

Some, don't have the desire or patience to read all of that. Like I said before, just switch the pipe back to stock if you have a warranty issue. :nix:

Ohio HD

Quote from: jeffscycle on August 26, 2016, 09:25:36 AM
   I'm kind of impressed by how fast all the Aftermarket suppliers are able to get a genie pig for testing. I guess H-D sees it as future free R&D or something, and don't stand in the way?

I do bet there's going to be an adjustable rocker arm or ones with those baby lifters (like Chrysler), in them, if there is enough oil pressure.

It's what Kawasaki did with the VN200 v-twin. Hydraulic takeup units on the rocker arms.

[attach=0]

92flhtcu

Cobra will start shipping Oct 3 barring any unforeseen delay, headers as well as slip-ons, They started the first production run yesterday
I have part #'s, just cant post due to size of the file, i'm about as techy as a snow shovel, so if some one wants me to email it, they can repost it
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

Quote from: Nastytls on August 26, 2016, 06:23:47 PM
Some, don't have the desire or patience to read all of that. Like I said before, just switch the pipe back to stock if you have a warranty issue. :nix:

Gonna be tough to swap pipes if the bike craps out on a trip and needs to be towed to an out of state dealer, hundreds of miles from home.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bxbutch

Is the cat in the pipe or muffler i hear 2 different versions from 2 different dealer service reps Butch

rigidthumper

Cat is in the headpipe on all touring models that use cats 2010 to present.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ultraswede

"Cat is in the headpipe on all touring models that use cats 2010 to present."

For the benefit of our international readers, this is also true from My 2009 on HDI bikes.