May 02, 2024, 04:01:42 AM

News:

INTERCHANGABILITY

Started by dirty jim, August 26, 2016, 09:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirty jim

READ ON ANOTHER SITE (AUTOBLOG), THAT THERE IS NO "BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY". WHAT CHANGED? HEAD BOLT PATTERN? PUSH ROD ANGLE? OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE BUT THE FACTORY WON'T, LIKE PISTONS, INTAKE MANIFOLD, EXHAUST SYSTEM? HAS ANYONE OVER LAYED THE HEAD GASKETS YET OR CHECKED PUSH ROD ANGLES. "ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW" :bike:

Herko

Quote from: dirty jim on August 26, 2016, 09:16:10 AM
...WHAT CHANGED? HEAD BOLT PATTERN?...
As far as the head bolt pattern..
This excerpt from a screenshot in the 2017 M.Y. Technical Forum:
"Updates include a larger diameter shouldered cylinder stud for installed height and reconfigured stud spacing to accommodate the larger cylinders".

BTW, in case you didn't notice, your caps lock is activated.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Hossamania

(Dirty Jims caps lock is always activated - he's a screamer)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Herko

(Dirty Jims caps lock is always activated - he's a screamer)

One of those guys eh?
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

PoorUB

It is a whole new engine. You may as well try mount Chevy heads on a Ford block, it ain't gonna happen.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dirty jim

Yeah, just saw FSG's post, whole new engine. I'm sorry about the upper case posting. I had no idea it made the voices in every ones head scream.

ultraswede

The *-36 pushrod tube clip is still the same since 1936. :oops:

CowboyTutt

Thanks for your understanding and willing to correct Jim.  Yes, its true, all caps is reserved for yelling and very, very old guys who never learned the internet technology and rules of behavior.  Grateful for your understanding.  Regards,  -Tutt 

Big Cahuna

I would think that with a new motor would come a whole new market for parts. Think how much $$$ Harley would loose if you could use older parts on their spanking new motor?.,,

masstch

August 28, 2016, 07:17:58 AM #9 Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:33:54 AM by masstch
Well, you can bet SOMEBODY  is going to put those heads onto a TC... There are lots of machine shops and some creative guys that like to tackle such things.
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

CowboyTutt

The amount of engineering, welding, recutting those welds, will render such a modification cost prohibitive.  Stick to state of the art TC technology.  HD Street Performance already commented on this in another thread.  Bolt pattern wrong.  Cylinder spigot wrong.  Everything wrong, wrong, wrong.  Probably what the MoCo had in mind.  Shut out the aftermarket as long as they can.....

Or maybe just build a better motor, or both. 

Cheers,  -Tutt

PoorUB

Quote from: CowboyTutt on August 28, 2016, 04:06:44 PM
The amount of engineering, welding, recutting those welds, will render such a modification cost prohibitive.  Stick to state of the art TC technology.  HD Street Performance already commented on this in another thread.  Bolt pattern wrong.  Cylinder spigot wrong.  Everything wrong, wrong, wrong.  Probably what the MoCo had in mind.  Shut out the aftermarket as long as they can.....

Or maybe just build a better motor, or both. 

Cheers,  -Tutt

:agree:

A good machinist could build a set of heads out of billet faster than modifying a set M-8's to fit a TC
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

CowboyTutt

I would say a better CNC programer with a billet block and with all the necessary information could build something suitable, but that too would take some time.  Regards,  -Tutt