May 01, 2024, 12:27:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Loud clank inside engine

Started by N-gin, August 27, 2016, 09:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: Karl H. on August 31, 2016, 12:08:12 AM
Maybe it's a non issue   :pop:

On the other hand: Look at the technical investments made by Yamaha and Kawaski with similar engines!

Yamaha MT
[attach=0]
[attachimg=3]

Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 (4 tiny hydro tappets inside the rocker arms)
[attach=1]
[attachimg=4]

Karl
Two things. Are the adjusters only a starting point to get both valves set to 0 clearance and not really needed from there on but more to take care of manufacturing tolerances.  That case , other means can be had for setting the two valves up within .000 - .005 of each other as a starting point as in no adjuster should be required.  This only works with a hydraulic lifter system, not solids. Now Kawi is the ultimate solution. Slap the components together and let each hydro compensating device take care of 0 lash. These engines are scary quiet by the way.
I still say if the initial valve to rocker clearances are matched to 0-.005 variance between the two valves the hydraulics will take care of it from there based on my explanation in a previous post.
Ron

88b

Quote from: Karl H. on August 31, 2016, 12:08:12 AM
Maybe it's a non issue   :pop:

On the other hand: Look at the technical investments made by Yamaha and Kawaski with similar engines!

Yamaha MT
[attach=0]
[attachimg=3]

Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 (4 tiny hydro tappets inside the rocker arms)
[attach=1]
[attachimg=4]

Karl

That's what I was hoping to see, then I saw the first images and knew it was only a matter of time before it was a problem. That time was shorter than I thought.

trex

Why not just make one of the pushrods on each cylinder an adjustable. EASY

PoorUB

Quote from: trex on October 09, 2016, 08:00:43 PM

:idunno:
The "pushrods" are already auto adjusting through the lifters. The paired, nonadjustable rocker arms are what is strange.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

trex

Quote from: PoorUB on October 09, 2016, 08:49:27 PM
Quote from: trex on October 09, 2016, 08:00:43 PM

:idunno:
The "pushrods" are already auto adjusting through the lifters. The paired, nonadjustable rocker arms are what is strange.
Of course, I wasn't thinking clearly. The rocker arm makes my suggestion stupid.

BUBBIE

When I get mine....... :nix: :scratch:

Die-grinder to Split the hairs to a few CLOSE thous... Good enough for me...  :pop:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

rbabos

Quote from: BUBBIE on October 13, 2016, 02:18:57 PM
When I get mine....... :nix: :scratch:

Die-grinder to Split the hairs to a few CLOSE thous... Good enough for me...  :pop:

signed....BUBBIE
There you go. Why complicate the damn process? :wink:
Ron

glens

rbabos

Quote from: glens on October 13, 2016, 05:07:59 PM
shims under buckets
That would be the v rod or many other overhead cam units out there. Not needed with this hydro,  pushrod,  rocker arm system.
Ron

Moparnut72

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 30, 2016, 10:17:57 PM
My little Die-grinder at ANY given/needed miles IF Noise WEARS Back..... Would do its Magic Again for the proper fit... easy peasy... 

I'll not make it a Huge Project...  :potstir:

That "adjustable" for one of the rocker pushers would do a Good job... FUSSY riders that can't take a LITTLE Tick would be Fiddling with it Often... :hyst:

FIDDLING: fiddling |ˈfidli ng; ˈfidl-i ng |
adjective
annoyingly trivial or petty :

signed....BUBBIE

Just a thought. If one were to take a little off one of the rocker arm contact points, would you be going thru any  surface hardening? Taking a little off the end of a valve might be better but would be harder to access. Valves are ground on all the time.
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

trex

Was there any procedure to adjust the valves separately on the Fueling 4 valve heads? If not was it ever an issue?

Karl H.

Quote from: trex on October 16, 2016, 10:49:29 AM
Was there any procedure to adjust the valves separately on the Fueling 4 valve heads? If not was it ever an issue?

[attach=0]
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

trex

That looks good. Am I wrong in thinking that only one adjuster is needed on each rocker, back it off and let the lifter fix clearance then adjust the other to it?

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

trex

Thanks. Maybe it will end up not being an issue though, we will see.

rbabos

Quote from: trex on October 16, 2016, 01:35:56 PM
Thanks. Maybe it will end up not being an issue though, we will see.
It really shouldn't be an issue even without one adjuster.as long as the factory sets them up below the max of .008 variance. Having one adjuster helps slack up mfg tolerances with valve protrusions and the adjuster comes in handy in those cases. In hydraulic unit's like the Yamaha similar to what the M8 is now, adjustments are seldom done or needed. Only solid lifters require a touch up now and then and both valves will have adjusters.  If the valves are set up for that initial clearance between the two valves, as in the M8 with hydraulics then need for adjusting becomes a non issue. Doing valves or head work will make for an extra step to keep them in spec however. No big deal really.
Ron