May 01, 2024, 10:58:04 PM

News:

air cleaner inlet

Started by Templer, August 28, 2016, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templer

Wonder if the opening on the oem M-8 forward facing ac is bigger then the years before? Faces the cooler air and away from cylinder heat from the side. Factory bigger CI displacement IE bigger and better flow to the TB from the OEM setup?

bxbutch

rich1

The opening is huge. Hopefully the filter element is wider. If it is I doubt there is much, if any, performance to be gained by replacing it.

-deuced-

Filter element is wedge shaped, like the housing.

rich1

Quote from: -deuced- on August 29, 2016, 06:09:44 PM
Filter element is wedge shaped, like the housing.

Makes sense. Wonder if there is more surface area? Would like to see a comparison to the earlier filter.

Rokinrider

It's the only complaint I have about my new RG is that AC housing is huge! It covers most of the front cylinder. I'll be watching the aftermarket all winter waiting patiently. The dealer I got it from has a really good service tech/writer, his exact words were the aftermarket will kick our ass. Apparently because they're hands are tied? Fuel Moto save us, give us way cool AC and pipes and tunes!!
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

rich1

The filter element is fairly small and just over an inch wide.

Templer

I have been checking the M-8 assembly on other sites. The head breather modes we (TC & others) have look not to work because of molded backing plate. Will have to wait for after market and a McGyver to see if separate vents from heads to ?. They look to be hard plumbed inside housing. Even with the "new designed breathers" they will still vent H2O/oil mist into TB.

Jako1

It is a bit more streamlined  narrower and new filter
More leg room
my boots are not burning on the pipe
Less heat 
The o2 sensors are back in the head pipes  with knock sensors on the back of the heads
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud

ocezam

Quote from: rich1 on August 29, 2016, 04:39:25 PM
The opening is huge. Hopefully the filter element is wider. If it is I doubt there is much, if any, performance to be gained by replacing it.
I replaced mine with a Heavy Breather about a week after I got it.  BIG seat of the pants difference.  Ran like a scalded ape.  I had a little decel popping (stock pipes).  Added a Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner,
part number 41000008C, and downloaded the factory stage 1 map.  The decel popping is gone and it's a little less quick, but significantly still quicker than it was bone stock.

Somewhere on the net there's a dealer vid of an M8 on the dyno.  It picked up like one HP with Street Cannon slip ons and about five HP with the Heavy Breather.  That's fairly significant IMO.

That vid and some of the comments from Jamie at Fuel Moto point to heavy restriction in the air filter and in the head pipes.  The factory slip ons actually flow pretty well.

Jako1

I am painting my screen blue to offset the silver paint
Same for the custom oil cooler I have  :koolaid:
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud