Haven't seen anything about the left side crank bearing yet

Started by mp, August 28, 2016, 12:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp

I assume they did NOT go back to the proven twin Timken tapered bearings?

bobscogin

rbabos

Quote from: mp on August 28, 2016, 12:48:01 PM
Pretty sure the straight roller has proven itself also.
Ron

masstch

Quote from: rbabos on August 28, 2016, 01:36:44 PM
Quote from: mp on August 28, 2016, 12:48:01 PM
Pretty sure the straight roller has proven itself also.
Ron
Bingo!
I think it's fairly safe to say that the TC *cranks* of at least the last five or six years have proven themselves pretty well in a lot of builds. I don't know what or when they did it but they seem to be better than the earlier units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

N-gin

With more torque down low we will see how well the cranks are going be.
Is there any design change with them?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

FSG

using the 24605-07 bearing which has been around for some time

mattVA

Good to know they trust it for their new engine. I used dual 24605-07 instead of timken on my build. Saved a bunch of money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2009 FXDF

mp

I'm no Twin Cam expert, but doesn't Harley sell the Timken upgrade as a result of the roller bearing causing crank scissoring?

rbabos

Quote from: mp on August 29, 2016, 10:46:25 AM
I'm no Twin Cam expert, but doesn't Harley sell the Timken upgrade as a result of the roller bearing causing crank scissoring?
A timken won't stop a crank from shifting regardless of the internet. Nor will a roller bearing cause shifting.   A solid,  stable crank comes from  how much area on the crankpin is available for press fit into the flywheel bore . The bigger the pin and the more press fit, the better the crank will resist moving. In a nut shell, it's better to put money into a crank and lock it up then expect a bearing that still has running clearance to try and save a shitty crank.
Ron

masstch

Quote from: mp on August 29, 2016, 10:46:25 AM

Harley (and others) sell the Timken upgrade because of market demands.
HD moved away from the Timken in 2003(?).
People who had scissoring or *any* crank issues thereafter assumed a causal relationship, bad-mouthed MoCo for 'cheapening' and profiting; wanted the Timken back.
Causal relationship wasn't found, but,
confidence was acquired with the installation of the conversion when crank repair was being done.
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

mp

I dunno...  There were virtually no failures when the Timkens held the crank in place and there have been many since the roller bearing came along to speed production and increase slop.  I've heard the automatic primary chain tensioners cause problems as well, from over-tightening after a big bump and stressing the crank.  But those came along several years after the roller bearing.

rbabos

Quote from: mp on August 29, 2016, 05:03:55 PM
I dunno...  There were virtually no failures when the Timkens held the crank in place and there have been many since the roller bearing came along to speed production and increase slop.  I've heard the automatic primary chain tensioners cause problems as well, from over-tightening after a big bump and stressing the crank.  But those came along several years after the roller bearing.
It was poor crank production basically and or QC. Remember 07's, the worst ever. An upgraded better heat treated bearing (Lefty) now but very few cranks slip as the years went on. Also note the SE versions compensators compared to the 07s has eased up on shock loading the crank also. No bearing or tensioner version can really stop a crank from slipping at the crank pin if the press isn't good enough. This new M8 with bigger crank pin will again increase durability of the crank, if the press is done right.  Both in slip and better all around alignment retention.  Let's hope so this time. :wink:
Also, for a timken to actually stop output shaft flex to get the most out of it and control what it claims to do,  it would need to be preloaded, not set up with clearance as is the common practice.
Ron

koko3052

SixShooter14

Quote from: FSG on August 28, 2016, 11:18:14 PM

using the 24605-07 bearing which has been around for some time
FSG, where are you getting these cool pics? Is there a parts catalog or brochure?

Thanks
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

04 SE Deuce

You can't shore up a marginal crank with main bearings.  Fueling guys tried a support bearing in the cam plate...broke the cases when the crank shifted.

CowboyTutt

King of Cubes also tried a dual Timken conversion on both crank ends and it broke the cases.  Regards,  -Tutt