May 08, 2024, 03:59:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hello from a newbie in Central NY

Started by Jammer53, August 30, 2016, 06:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jammer53

Hello everyone.  Just registered on this forum and look forward to meeting new folks who share our love for everything Harley.

My name is Jim, and I live in Utica, NY and am 62yrs old.  I currently own a 2004 Sportster XL1200C custom with 15000 miles.

Am looking to upgrade to a Road King, on the cheap.  Or at least as inexpensively as possible. Fixed income and all that. :smilep:

I came to this forum via a Google search looking for advice on a specific situation, which I will explain in detail in a thread in the appropriate forum.

Hope to learn a lot!
The internet is full of Kowardly Keyboard Kommandos

SixShooter14

Howdy, welcome to the site.

I too hope to 'upgrade' to a Road King...in due time.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

moscooter

:wink:
Jammer,  welcome to the site, and here is a "tip" from me as to how to better afford that upgrade you want to a Road King.

Being that you mention "fixed income" and age 62,  suggests that just maybe you are retired or close to it.  It's your chance to get out of New York state.  Too expensive in taxes, bridge tolls, insurance, etc.

You would find that moving would equal getting a raise in income.  I know,  I was stuck up there in Kingston for about 2 yrs, 10 months and 6 days before I got out. :bike:

Jammer53

"I was stuck up there in Kingston for about 2 yrs, 10 months and 6 days before I got out."

Yeah, but who's counting?  LOL.

And yes, I am retired.  Was forced out of a 31 law enforcement career due to terminal lung cancer four years ago.  But I'm still here!   :up:

As for moving out of NYS, can't.  Wife won't leave the kids and grandkids.  Before that, she wouldn't leave her grandmother, mother, etc.   :hug: 

Meh...what are you gonna do.

Brrrap

Jammer,
Welcome to the Forum! I'm originally from upstate now living in Wisconsin. Got a bit of family in the Utica, Sequoit, Clayville area too. I Was up in Fulton. Anyway Welcome.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Jammer53

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-'81

21st MP Co., 503rd MP Battalion, XVIII Abn. Corp.  '73-76   :wink:

Piston Broke

Quote from: Jammer53 on September 01, 2016, 06:05:20 PMAs for moving out of NYS, can't.  Wife won't leave the kids and grandkids.  Before that, she wouldn't leave her grandmother, mother, etc.  Meh...what are you gonna do.

Leave the wife?

We do relationship counselling here too.

Jammer53

Quote from: Piston Broke on September 02, 2016, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: Jammer53 on September 01, 2016, 06:05:20 PMAs for moving out of NYS, can't.  Wife won't leave the kids and grandkids.  Before that, she wouldn't leave her grandmother, mother, etc.  Meh...what are you gonna do.

Leave the wife?

We do relationship counselling here too.

After being with her for 38yrs?  Nah...she's a keeper.    This is how I got her into the church:   :fish:

Brrrap

Quote from: Jammer53 on September 02, 2016, 12:04:04 PM
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-'81

21st MP Co., 503rd MP Battalion, XVIII Abn. Corp.  '73-76   :wink:
:up:
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

IndianBOB

Anthony C

Hello Guys, I'm a newbie as well.  I joined today 18, Nov. 2016.  I was reading about the issues with a lame transmission bearing in the baggers from 06 to 2010.  Learned a lot already!

I'm a native New Yorker my self from the Fordham section of The Bronx.  Now living in Virginia Beach, VA

Anthony C
2009 HD Street Glide
"TAKE IT EASY WHILE YOU'RE GOING FAST!"

Jammer53

Welcome Anthony from another native NYer. You're gonna love it here.  LOTS of friendly, knowledgable folks hereabouts who freely share their knowledge and experience.

I know I do.

Anthony C

Thank you Jammer53

I'm with you! I share my knowledge as well, and I love doing it. 
2009 HD Street Glide

Panzer

Another welcome from lower Delaware.
I also ride a sporty (1200 custom) and love it.
What year and model Sportster?
If you follow the posts here, you'll find that this family of bikers who have had Sportsters and sold them could kick themselves for doing so.
Suggest keeping the ride and put another upgrade bike in the garage for company.
Again, welcome to HTT Mr. Jammer

BTW, thx for your service, I'm a Navy Sea Bee brat, retired also.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Anthony C

Panzer thank you.
Although I never served in the armed forces, my two sons served in the Corps.   I worked side by side with the SEA BEES in Afghanistan in 2010 from March to August. I at the time worked for the Army, I made a move from PA to VA because I put in for a job and got it!   I wanted to be closer to the Ocean when I finally retire.  My sons always told me that the SEA BEES are AWESOME!  And they are!  I did serve in Afghanistan, I also delivered The Viet Nam Memorial Statue that faces the Viet Nam wall in 1984, 28 October.    I was so proud of doing that, it was my first time in DC.
2009 HD Street Glide

TXChop

Welcome from another Ny'er. downstate from you though.
Perfect time to buy a bike. Some decent deals around.

moose fat

One more former yankee here and another newbie.  Left Albany area in 2010, traveled in a 37' 5th wheel until 2014.  Bought a place here in the Ozarks, retired with the 4 legged kids, wife and a '04 Road King.  My wife rides an '04 Electraglide, cooks like an angel and is also a keeper!  Anyway, Howdy, ya'll!  ~Moose Fat

SixShooter14

Quote from: moose fat on November 19, 2016, 08:06:26 AM
One more former yankee here and another newbie.  Left Albany area in 2010, traveled in a 37' 5th wheel until 2014.  Bought a place here in the Ozarks, retired with the 4 legged kids, wife and a '04 Road King.  My wife rides an '04 Electraglide, cooks like an angel and is also a keeper!  Anyway, Howdy, ya'll!  ~Moose Fat
Howdy Moose, welcome to the forum....wherabouts in the Ozarks are you?

There's several of us in North Central Arkansas.

moose fat

Howdy, Sixshooter!  We're in Lakeview, where are ya'll?  ~Moose Fat

SixShooter14

Quote from: moose fat on November 19, 2016, 08:44:52 AM
Howdy, Sixshooter!  We're in Lakeview, where are ya'll?  ~Moose Fat
I'm currently in Memphis, but I'm from about an hour North of Little Rock. A little town near Heber Springs. I go back there almost every weekend.