May 02, 2024, 03:24:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How would a 114 stage 3 107 compare to a stock cvo 114 performance wise??

Started by spook, August 31, 2016, 03:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spook

Was wondering how a stage 3 107 based 114 would compare to a stock cvo 114 in performance and reliability?  Assume both are tuned.  Thanks for your opinions. 

BVHOG

Like they say, no replacement for displacement and time will tell how good the heads are at the higher cubes.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

spook

But given the same displacement would the shorter stroke 107 based 114 be the equivalent of the longer stroke cvo 114 in areas of performance and reliability...that is the question. Thanks for your reply.

rigidthumper

Simulator shows the longer stroke motor better by 5TQ under 3K, then a wash after that. I'm sure bikes are being tuned/tested as we wait- results should be out within a week or two.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

spook

Thanks...should be interesting times within the next couple months. 

SixShooter14

'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

rigidthumper

Just saw a dyno sheet for a M8 CVO- 114/90 STD.   Same dyno showed a 107 @ 101/78 STD.

locker55

Just for the record my 114 tuned by Bob came in at  HP-137.47  TQ-133.66.
I think that 114 CVO has a few things missing....LOL

rigidthumper

happyman

Quote from: locker55 on August 31, 2016, 10:50:47 PM
Just for the record my 114 tuned by Bob came in at  HP-137.47  TQ-133.66.
I think that 114 CVO has a few things missing....LOL
it seems your comparing a EPA stock bike, to a built to spec fun bike.   do some work on the new cvo and I have to think you may be surprised to be perfectly honest.

HD/Wrench

pentroof heads are going to be interesting to see how that works out.. as most times at least in other applications it is either a tq head or hp head and trying to make hp with the wrong casting does not work out so well.. small gains but nothing like the properly cast head for hp..  complete wrong location of ports and nothing left to port.. Time will tell. best guess is they are tq as the new cams are small in both lift and duration.

rigidthumper

Can anyone tell if this has any squish shelf? Pentroof with squish and dual plug should only need ~21° advance, according to the simulator, but i see HDs stock timing table has 34.5° at WOT/5K.

spook

So does the group think the 114/90 numbers are realistic for a stock 114 CVO? I thought with the higher compression and displacement of the 114 it would be a greater difference from the stock 107.  Interesting.....

spook

Still wondering how a 107 to 114 stage 3 HD build would compare to a cvo stock 114.  Or am I missing something in the replys?

rigidthumper

107-114 stage 3 will make a couple more ponies and a little less tq than the stock 114 CVO engine due to cam/stroke delta. 

spook

Thanks. That is what I was wondering.  Appreciate the clarification.

Bigbluff

An argument could possibly be made that the shorter stroke 107>114 could be more reliable in the long run than the longer stroke CVO-114 as the peak piston speed, and therefore the acceleration/deceleration loads on the bottom end, would be less.
In all that time he was riding through the desert he could have named that horse

rigidthumper

Phu Cat

Locker 55,  That bike sounds like a real interesting ride ya got there, how is it around town?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.