April 30, 2024, 05:00:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need help from you clutch gurus

Started by Robin, April 16, 2009, 07:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

I have a 66 tranny behind my 47 knuck.  Took the tranny out to get some seal issues taken care of.  After putting it back together, as usual, I can't get the clutch adjusted right.  I have a friend that usually does it but he is fighting cancer right now.  I have watched and watched what he does, but i can't duplicate it.
It shifts good but I cannot shift it into neutral froom first without shutting the engine off.  I know its in the adjustment, but I can't figure it out.  PLEASE, a little help for a brother!

Robin

vern

hey robin. the reason you can't get into netrual is because the clutch is still engaged a little when you pull the clutch lever in, called clutch drag, the engine is still pulling on the tranny, and that happens for a bunch of reasons. the clutch plates could be sticking to the metal plates, the chain could be to tight, the fiber disc on the back of the hub could be broken, the list goes on and on and yes it could adjustment, and that's the easyest to check. i will try to post a pic of the clutch adjustment.

easyricer

Every 4 sp clutch I've ever had would drag some. if it's pulling enough where you can't hold it with your feet then it's too much. One thing I do know, a clutch will pull more at a really low idle than it will at a normal 900-1000rpm idle. The plates are slapping around real bad at 800 rpm and the bike tries to "Chug, chug" forward. Primary chain adjustment makes a big difference too. If it's too loose you get more slap if its too tight it keeps the clutch basket in a bind. SO try to get it 3/4 to 7/8 in play cold. It'll be 5/8 to 3/4 hot. (always worked really good for me)
The best setting I've always got on the clutch was, cable backed all the way off, adjust the basket screw all the way in till it touches then back off half a turn (180 degrees) Then adjust the lever so that you have 1/8th inch of play in it. (measured at the front of the lever by the cable)
Make sure your idle is about 900-1000 rpm. The PO-TA-TO sounds really good but it's hurting more than you wanna know. Once you got the clutch adjusted to where it don't pull hard, then you can turn it down a slight bit to see what rpm you can drop it to with out it dragging.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

NormL

Ramjet retainer.  $20 little nylon disc.   Works great.

Adjustment.  On any cable/tranny lever assembly you want to have maximum travel to the lever fulcrum.  This happens when the cable is at a right angle (90º) to the lever at 1/2 throw.  Set this by loosening the cable enough to adjust the pushrod set screw so the cable/lever is slightly less than 90º (1/2" clearance from the lever to the starter motor, if you have one.)  Then adjust the cable to 1/16" freeplay at the hand lever.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

Robin

I got the Ramjett in it, and I will try the other suggestions.  This is just one of those things I am not wired to get right..  Oh well..lol!  Thanks again!!

Robin

u4hd2

Robin,  check adj screw and pushrod, make sure there nice and flat. [ i use a valve grinder to true
the ends.  also watch the preasure plate when you pull the clutch lever and see if it moving out flat
or at a angle. hopes this helps a little.

RC
Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer

pappyfreebird

hey big daddy rob ..i cant add anythin but a good luck.. n you n the wife ride safe this season..the vern easy n cr er um norml got ya coverd purty good like...each bike is tad dif..its  mtter a fuggan wid it n pateince youll git tit..

hillbillybiker

check your ramjett adjustment.When i first put one in mine i had it too tight.With the same problem you have now.It has like 3 different levels of adjustment i think it says A,B,C i backed it off one and if felt like a whole new bike.Could be the problem.steve

NormL

It's probably not this, but warped discs sometimes don't show up until you r&r the clutch pack.  You could check each plate with a sheet of glass.
Just a though.
Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

Robin

Thanks and thanks Pappy, haven't been on the comp much the last year!!  Miss ya!!!  I look in at Ding's once in a while.

But hey, got the clutch working.  Adjusted the cable (lengthened ) it a bit and now it shifts like butter!!  Thanks everyone!!

Robin

pappyfreebird

groovy brutha rob... she musta been grabbin jus a touch yet then,,,aways good ta hear a happy endin n evin bettar when no cost heyhuh,,take care