May 01, 2024, 02:59:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

T&T 9-2-16

Started by 2006FXDCI, September 03, 2016, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2006FXDCI

Jay , im not sure which way to go . Im at 3.15 now and 1st gear feels to deep . Im running 24/56 sprockets , thinking of going to a 54 rear to tame it down and help my 60' times . But by doing that i will be at a lower rpm in 5th gear coming through the traps . Im getting confused thinking about it  :banghead: . What final gear ratio are you running Jay ?
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

jam65

My bike set up and yours are a little bit different. What may work for me just might be all wrong for you as far as gearing goes. Listen to Paul and do your own testing. Pull your highest possible rpms through the trap and work on what gets you out of the hole the best on that 1,2 shift.

2006FXDCI

Thanks Jay , with that being said i think im going to try a 52 or 51 rear sprocket . It will allow me to go through the traps in 4th gear around 6300 rpm's at 120mph or so . Should make the 60' easier and allow me to stay in 1st gear through the 60' traps . It will also eliminate one shift in my run . What do you guys think ?

pwmorris

Looks like you are in a pickle here. Sucks about R&D, but as Jay said, the back cutting and other mods help quite a bit.
Don't know about the 6 speeds, but I don't like to keep pulling and stretching out my pulling gears all the way to the traps. I like to get in my 1:1 HP gear (5th for me), ASAP, ideally by the 1/8 mile.
I'm not sure if you go smaller sprocket in the rear, it will only help one problem, launch, and create another one, slower overall et and mph. It could help but only by testing will you find out. I have failed many times with testing stuff but that's ok, you just keep going till it's right.
If you leave in the deep gearing, there is one way around it....clutch mods. A lock up type clutch will allow you to keep the gearing you have and still have smooth, hard launches.
If you send your clutch to Bandit, don't go with their 3 finger which comes in at one stage then immediately locks up. Go with the second gen MTC on your Bandit pack. Killer once dialed in...you could 60' ft in the 1.50's with your stock wheelbase.

You could then run even deeper gearing-not taller. Deeper overall gearing, say 3.30, 3.40 or even more, will pull the bike even harder and get you into the higher rpms in your mph gear.

Money-

westcomb

That sounds like a pretty good plan!  :wink:

2006FXDCI

Quote from: westcomb on September 07, 2016, 11:31:27 AM
Changing gearing like i posted or what Paul suggested with the bandit lockup ?

wfolarry

Some guys that are short on $$$ will change the gearing so that they redline through the traps & start off in 2nd.
Do the math & see where that 2nd gear ends up.

IronMike113

Looks Great Josh,Prime Example of hard work and persistence Will Pay off,Like mentioned in above post, There's more to be had,And I know you're going to get it..........🏍💨💨💨💨💨
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

2006FXDCI

Larry , i think you might be onto something ! Did the math using a 64t rear AND taking 2 teeth of the compensator and i like what i see ! It will even let me use my 1-1 gear !! What do you think ? 2nd is pretty tall this way , would take some clutching .

westcomb

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on September 07, 2016, 11:40:30 AM
Quote from: westcomb on September 07, 2016, 11:31:27 AM
Changing gearing like i posted or what Paul suggested with the bandit lockup ?
I was talking about the lock up ........... 1.5 60's sound pretty sweet to me! ........ My best without a lock up is 1.67 and I have never had one that good since! ....... that was my best pass so far ..... I went 11.42 @ 122 that pass! ..... if I could get a 1.6 or better 60 foot I would be a happy man!  :up:

I do thing gearing will help tho! ........ I know my bike needs to loose power on take off I spin a lot ........ Not sure you have the same problem tho? ........ sounds like a wheelie bar would help tho!  :smiled:

Stiff shocks and strap the front will help! ....... I seem to do better with rear struts over my soft shocks? ....... I run the struts for my wheelie bar is all ......... ( and its not really needed like I hoped! lol)

My gearing is primary is 45 - 68 (1.51) rear is 24 - 51 (2.125) and I run a late HD 5 speed ....... but in a Bagger so little different ....

westcomb

Quote from: wfolarry on September 07, 2016, 03:03:32 PM
Some guys that are short on $$$ will change the gearing so that they redline through the traps & start off in 2nd.
Do the math & see where that 2nd gear ends up.
I tried the 2nd gear take off .......... looks like I have too much gear in first but too little in 2nd tho!  :SM: ........ almost stalled!

BTW I hope I'm not stepping on your thread! ........

2006FXDCI

Westcomb , no worries ! All good info here ! The problem with a bandit lockup is it will not fit under the primary cover , extensive cutting and welding are required i believe to make it fit .

westcomb

Yeah I know the Bandit is pretty wide ......... just bolted one my a buddys fat boy ...... you have to grind on the cover to fit without a lock up! ....... you can buy a wider outter cover? ...... but I think there over $700  :emsad:

I am running a Pro clutch set up ...... Not sure the lock up will fit on mine? ......... I have more room than the bandit right now? .......... I have a belt drive so its not a stock basket with little friction area like to kits made to bolt in ........ it hooks pretty good but I have killed a steel last year at the track!

I would be big $$$$ for me to swap to a Bandit with a lock up as well! ........  :banghead: ........ I may just suck it up tho? ...... may try the pro clutch lock up first tho?

I am going to back cut a 5 speed this winter and see how that works as well .......... a shift interrupt would be nice ........ and I guess I should have used the air shifter I sold to a buddy too!  :doh:

2006FXDCI

I use a rivera pro with a lockup and gold spring on my electra glide . Needed about 1/4" spacer between the derby cover and primary cover to make it fit . Works good on my 124"

pwmorris

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on September 08, 2016, 11:44:55 AM
I use a rivera pro with a lockup and gold spring on my electra glide . Needed about 1/4" spacer between the derby cover and primary cover to make it fit . Works good on my 124"
Hmmm...
Can you switch out the clutches bike to bike?
I can help you dial in the Rivera with L/U if you want.
I ran that set up for years and dialed it in to slip off the line, then lock up.
Do you have one of the newer L/U on it with removable weights?

2006FXDCI

Paul , my rivera pro is on a 5 speed bike and the bandit is on a 6 speed so no luck there in swapping the two .

westcomb

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on September 08, 2016, 12:06:14 PM
Paul , my rivera pro is on a 5 speed bike and the bandit is on a 6 speed so no luck there in swapping the two .
I thought the 6 speed kept the same spline as the 5 speeds?  :nix: ...... you sure it will not work? ....... I could see the basket having a different starter ring gear depending on what year your pro clutch is for! ...... 98 - 06 on some! ...... You can run a later 90-97 clutch with the right starter drive as well ......

I guess what I am saying is swapping the basket with the clutch are you sure it will not work? ....... early and late evo's have different teeth count on the basket as well ...... so there are things that could be different but if you set your mind to it I bet it could be done?

2006FXDCI

I figured the splines were different . Thanks for that info ! Definitely different starter ring gears on them .

pwmorris

More T&T might find some gains, but soon you will "hit the wall", which is basically all you can do with the bike and HP as it sits, as is, right now. It will be a challenge to run 10's as is, but if you can do it, it would be an awesome achievement on a heavy, stock wheelbase, foot shifted Dyna with a 107"-
You have a solid 11 second, pump gas Harley-an impressive achievement for anyone, anywhere.
Remember, there are guys on this site and at every watering hole across the Country, who talk big dyno numbers and when they "plan on hitting the track", but they never do. Even if they actually show up, they are slow and so full of excuses why they are so slow for what they have, it's hilarious.
You are the real deal Josh.

Your second gear is a dog IMO and you will not be able to launch from it. You would need sport bike type rpms and weight to make it work. But hey, try it and see how it works-what ya got to lose?

I say keep hitting T&T and play with different set ups, or find cash to get what you know you need.
I have canceled vacations, worked two jobs, bartered, and traded stuff, and busted my ass to push forward.
Depends on your own goals and objectives.
:up:

2006FXDCI

Paul , thank you for all the kind words and encouragement ! Sometimes i get so tied up thinking about what to do next that i forget about what a great time im having ! In all reality i couldnt be happier or more proud of myself for what ive done this year . From tearing the entire bike apart through the winter and rebuilding it all piece by piece with my own hands to making 11 second passes at the strip all year on it ! I owe allot of my success to members of this forum for sharing information with me . I hope by posting my experiences at the track that i encourage some other people to get out there and do the same thing . Paul im going to follow your advice and keep T&Ting til i get the combo i have consistent , hopefully low 11's ! I am going to be saving my pennies for the various parts needed to make this a 10 second bike . Ive got a wealth of knowledge on tap from you guys and GMS racing to help with setting my chassis up for the task at hand . I would really like to keep it a 107" as long as possible , i love this little motor  :chop: