May 02, 2024, 10:33:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Torque versus VE calibration?

Started by Xyzzy, September 06, 2016, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyzzy

Quote from: harleytuner on August 27, 2016, 04:31:31 AM
The stock calibrations are torque managed (not VE) so a switch is needed in the code so we can tune VE tables.

What does "torque managed" mean WRT fuel calibrations? (I know VE is for volumetric efficiency but I don't know what that means, either.)

Why would the MoCo switch? Is the new method better?

FWIW, my '17 SGS has the best fueling out of the 25 or so motorcycles I have owned. Even though I am a gear head, I have no plans to do anything to the engine. It is (for me) perfect. Every issue I had with my 103 has been fixed.

Jamie Long

The OE calibrations have a version of torque management familiar to some automotive applications, its a more enhanced strategy that ties throttle grip position to modeled torque. What it's "better" at and its real purpose is limiting power output under various conditions when the ECM wants it to. TM is used to limit power only, it cant increase it. In these types of calibrations as HP/TQ is increased, there are various tables that need to be recalibrated to allow proper allowable power output or there will be clipping, TBW errors, dtc's, and all kinds of good stuff. Also note these calibrations use VE tables as well.

The bikes do run pretty well, if you think the stock fueling is good you would really be impressed with a fully tuned M8 as there are considerable improvements for sure.

Sunny Jim

I rode a M8 Streetglide and a roadglide today. The RG had some Kerker mufflers
adapted to it.
I was not overly impressed with either bike. They both felt very restricted.
It was very obvious the the calibrations needed some attention.
And what is with the snappy clutch?
I then road my twin cam SG home. It was an interesting comparison.
I guess , with all the hype, I was expecting more.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Xyzzy on September 06, 2016, 05:51:00 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on August 27, 2016, 04:31:31 AM
The stock calibrations are torque managed (not VE) so a switch is needed in the code so we can tune VE tables.

What does "torque managed" mean WRT fuel calibrations? (I know VE is for volumetric efficiency but I don't know what that means, either.)

Why would the MoCo switch? Is the new method better?

FWIW, my '17 SGS has the best fueling out of the 25 or so motorcycles I have owned. Even though I am a gear head, I have no plans to do anything to the engine. It is (for me) perfect. Every issue I had with my 103 has been fixed.

What 103 did you have and what were the issues with it?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."