May 01, 2024, 11:52:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cvo 114

Started by Grof, September 09, 2016, 07:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grof

did anyone get chance to ride a cvo or dyno test ...

AllenZ

Dealer let me test ride a 2017 CVO Ultra. I'm impressed. Much more low end torque. Very smooth with counter balanced engine. Just a slight vibration at idle. Shifted well. Exhaust sounded good for stock. The new shocks are much better in absorbing the bumps and have better rebound. The color was the silver with greyish accents that I did not like, but that is personal preference. The paint is not the quality I would expect from a $40,000.00 + motorcycle.

I was interested in engine temperature so I brought an inferred temperature gun with me. I ran this bike hard for about 20 minutes. The salesman went with me for the ride and was ridding a 2017 Street Glide that had Screaming Eagle Street Cannon mufflers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and what he said was a dealer tune. All the bikes I tested had the catalytic converter in the head pipe.

Here are the results:
2017 CVO Ultra - 114 C.I. engine water cooled - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 91 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 225 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

2017 Street Glide  - 107 C.I. engine oil cooled - Screaming eagle Street Cannon mufflers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and dealer tune - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 91 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 315 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

Conclusion:
The 2017 CVO 114 C.I. water cooled was 95 degrees F. cooler than a 2017 107 C.I. oil cooled engine with
Screaming Eagle Street Cannon mufflers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and a dealer tune.

Now a week ago I test rode the following and checked temperature readings as follows:

2017 Eletraglide Ultra - 107 C.I. engine oil cooled with lower leg fairings - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 86 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 365 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

2014 Eletraglide Ultra - 103 C.I. engine air cooled with no lower leg fairings, No tune, and Screaming Eagle Street Cannon mufflers - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 86 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 354 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

Conclusion:
The 2014 Eletraglide Ultra 103 air cooled engine without lower leg fairings was 11 degrees cooler than a stock 2017 Eletraglide Ultra 107 C.I. engine oil cooled engine with lower leg fairings.

Final thoughts:
2017 water cooled engines have more affective cooling that the 2017 oil cooled engines.
I have herd that the new engines are running a higher compression ratio with as much as a 240 P.S.I. cylinder pressure that would create more heat. The 2017 oil cooled engines seem to run just a bit hotter that the 2014 air cooled engines.

Water cooling is the best.

1989 FLHTC 124 S&S Bored to 127, Hillside Stage 3 cylinder heads, S&S 6 speed.

HV

About the same findings Ive seen from testing the new M8s ...I also feel a lot less heat on my legs etc at a stop light with all models this could be due to the new head pipes being stainless Steel..... it dissipates heat VERY Fast and has less heat after the engine is shut down
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: HV on September 10, 2016, 03:32:36 AM
About the same findings Ive seen from testing the new M8s ...I also feel a lot less heat on my legs etc at a stop light with all models this could be due to the new head pipes being stainless Steel..... it dissipates heat VERY Fast and has less heat after the engine is shut down

Just the opposite stainless steel retains heat in the exhaust.  Keeps exhaust gasses hotter which helps maintain velocity and the big one,  improves emissions.  -Rick

Grof

Quote from: AllenZ on September 10, 2016, 01:51:58 AM
Dealer let me test ride a 2017 CVO Ultra. I'm impressed. Much more low end torque. Very smooth with counter balanced engine. Just a slight vibration at idle. Shifted well. Exhaust sounded good for stock. The new shocks are much better in absorbing the bumps and have better rebound. The color was the silver with greyish accents that I did not like, but that is personal preference. The paint is not the quality I would expect from a $40,000.00 + motorcycle.

I was interested in engine temperature so I brought an inferred temperature gun with me. I ran this bike hard for about 20 minutes. The salesman went with me for the ride and was ridding a 2017 Street Glide that had Screaming Eagle Street Cannon mufflers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and what he said was a dealer tune. All the bikes I tested had the catalytic converter in the head pipe.

Here are the results:
2017 CVO Ultra - 114 C.I. engine water cooled - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 91 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 225 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

2017 Street Glide  - 107 C.I. engine oil cooled - Screaming eagle Street Cannon mufflers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and dealer tune - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 91 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 315 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

Conclusion:
The 2017 CVO 114 C.I. water cooled was 95 degrees F. cooler than a 2017 107 C.I. oil cooled engine with
Screaming Eagle Street Cannon mufflers, Screaming Eagle air cleaner, and a dealer tune.

Now a week ago I test rode the following and checked temperature readings as follows:

2017 Eletraglide Ultra - 107 C.I. engine oil cooled with lower leg fairings - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 86 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 365 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

2014 Eletraglide Ultra - 103 C.I. engine air cooled with no lower leg fairings, No tune, and Screaming Eagle Street Cannon mufflers - 20 minute ride -  out side temperature 86 degrees - temperature checked with an inferred temperature gun taken just in front of the spark plugs - both cylinders were at 354 degrees F. - rear cylinder just went into heat management just before testing do to high out side air temperature.

Conclusion:
The 2014 Eletraglide Ultra 103 air cooled engine without lower leg fairings was 11 degrees cooler than a stock 2017 Eletraglide Ultra 107 C.I. engine oil cooled engine with lower leg fairings.

Final thoughts:
2017 water cooled engines have more affective cooling that the 2017 oil cooled engines.
I have herd that the new engines are running a higher compression ratio with as much as a 240 P.S.I. cylinder pressure that would create more heat. The 2017 oil cooled engines seem to run just a bit hotter that the 2014 air cooled engines.

Water cooling is the best.
thanks for review , wish I can ride one :)

cmashark

I test rode a new 17 CVO Street Glide, today, and can agree that suspension is nice.  Hard to believe the difference it was to my 13 CVORK.  The engine was pretty nice too.  It wasn't as fast as my 124, but it was very smooth with good power.

Chris
2021 FLHXSE

Grof

Quote from: cmashark on October 27, 2016, 06:25:46 PM
I test rode a new 17 CVO Street Glide, today, and can agree that suspension is nice.  Hard to believe the difference it was to my 13 CVORK.  The engine was pretty nice too.  It wasn't as fast as my 124, but it was very smooth with good power.

Chris
Tnx Chris, by just comparing it as stock bike to your 13 cvo (I got 14 cvork) is there noticeable power that you can say wow. Or is the more or less like 13, beside better suspensions and less heat etc. And no one leaves it stock anyway so new exhaust plus cam , dyno ,... it adds up..... I will keep my cvo rk and if they get next year with RG I will buy one ...

cmashark

Quote from: Grof on October 28, 2016, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: cmashark on October 27, 2016, 06:25:46 PM

Chris
Tnx Chris, by just comparing it as stock bike to your 13 cvo (I got 14 cvork) is there noticeable power that you can say wow. Or is the more or less like 13, beside better suspensions and less heat etc. And no one leaves it stock anyway so new exhaust plus cam , dyno ,... it adds up..... I will keep my cvo rk and if they get next year with RG I will buy one ...

There is noticeable power, especially compared to any of the 110 bikes.  Didn't seem to run out of breath as early as the 110s did, either.  My demo was a very spirited ride.  I was not easy on the bike, but never hit the limiter, either.  I could see riding it stock for a while.  The engine is a lot quieter than the TCs that I have owned and the stock pipes seem a little louder than stock 110s also.
2021 FLHXSE

BVHOG

Have a new one in the shop right now with 6 miles on it. Will do some testing stock and then after cam and exhaust swap.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

dablaze

Rode the CVO ultra as well as the Streetglde and agree with all said here. Biggest surprise was the Streetglide actually felt like it had decent suspension.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

rigidthumper

Quote from: BVHOG on November 21, 2016, 06:02:31 PM
Have a new one in the shop right now with 6 miles on it. Will do some testing stock and then after cam and exhaust swap.
Changing headpipes or just mufflers?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

BVHOG

Entire system, not sure exactly what yet, Power dual headpipe though.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.