May 02, 2024, 04:44:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sooty rear plug and Dynojet kit number for my 89 FXR...

Started by 1340evo, September 11, 2016, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbexeter

Quote from: yankee dog on September 15, 2016, 05:27:23 PM
Emulsion tube, slide needle, and main jet need to be either all Harley (cvp) or all dynojet. The two different brands are not interchangeable.

Another common overlooked item is the needle jet. It can get lost when carb is taken apart, or installed upside down, or get worn. Look it up on the CVP website if your not sure what it is.

Get a new emulsion tube, main jets, slow (pilot or idle) jets, needle jet, and slide needle from CVP. They have a N65 type needle tailored for the 1340 engine.

Once you get all that in your carb, and along with a good cleaning, you should be all set. YD

Diaphragm too, might as well when you are in there,

Burnout

The diaphragm is part of the slde, don't try to separate the diaphragm from the slide.

The plastic slide is DynoJet kaka, put a stock slide in it with a vacuum port hole no larger than .125".

Do not cut a spring or use a cut spring, a cut spring is actually stiffer!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Heatnbeat

One other thing that I never saw anywhere and found out the hard way....

The plastic part inside the slide spring holds down the needle. Well it can sit up on those little bumps and not hold the needle down tight. That allows the needle to float up and down about 1/8 inch and rattle all around. I'd probably never have known it except for the AFR meter. I did it twice before I realized what was happening; Wow were they some weird readings.

1340evo

will do... I've already put a .030 shim under the needle for testing so have seen that... we have a small AFR meter so can do it on test rides... Hope it don't rain this weekend!!

so I.m getting 175 / 180 / 185 / 190 mains and a 45 idle to start with... as well as the rest of the kit... sure that will cover all eventualaties :)

Marcus63

Been away for a few days and thought I let you know the latest update:

I chose to first try and get the carb dialed in with the Dynojet emulsion tube, needle and jet so I bought a 170 main jet from them and a larger Keihin pilot jet 45.
The bike runs almost great now. One minor issue is some light popping on decel and when I blip the throttle the revs don't come straight down immediately to idle again.

These are signs of a lean idle mixture. Turning the mixture screw three turns out (and a bit more) doesn't cure this.
It means I need still a bigger pilot so Ï'm ordering a 46, 48 and 50 just to be covered.
Almost there  :smiled:

As for the question about my lollipops: mufflers are 2 1/4 inch diameter and my lollipop has a diameter of 1 1/4 inch with a 1/2 inch hole in it.
It sits about in the middle of the muffler orifice in the fully closed position some 3 inch from the end.
Hope this helps ya.

Cheers & greetingz from the Netherlands

Marcus

FXRS CON 1990 (EM)

Marcus63

Quote from: Heatnbeat on September 15, 2016, 08:08:03 PM
One other thing that I never saw anywhere and found out the hard way....

The plastic part inside the slide spring holds down the needle. Well it can sit up on those little bumps and not hold the needle down tight. That allows the needle to float up and down about 1/8 inch and rattle all around. I'd probably never have known it except for the AFR meter. I did it twice before I realized what was happening; Wow were they some weird readings.

I guess you're talking about the dynojet kit here?
It states on their site to put the little washers on top of the needle to prevent this from happening....

Cheers

Marcus

1340evo

Hi Marcus..  what make are your pipes... I think I will go up on the 1 3/4" as with a 185 / 45 I'm getting great bottom end... but still not good at the top... with the original 170... it would go like mad... but then stall at about 4K or so?... my lollipos are M6 bolt heads with 2 M6 nuts under them....

Heatnbeat