May 01, 2024, 09:48:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sooty rear plug and Dynojet kit number for my 89 FXR...

Started by 1340evo, September 11, 2016, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Hi Guy's... a bit new to this, and my bike as I've just bought it... I've have a few 883 over the past few years but my last big twin was a 73 shovel that I did up about 25 years ago... anyway back to the fold... 

Anyway.. just got a very nice FXR1340 1989 that's been totally done up and customised... The engine has been out and the barrels lightly honed (as it was within limits).. Heads gas flowed.. open pipes.. but engine wise, that's about it....
so just checking it over and I see the back plug is a bit sooty.. where as the front plug looks a bit hot.... Its the std carb fitted... but I've lifted the needle a tad just to try.. runs lovely but why the difference?
I've compression tested it.. both the same at 12 bar so valves and top rings are okay... if it were oil, I'm sure it would be white / grey... I've checked for leaks with easy start... nothing there... I've looked at the accelerator pump stream in the carb.. and if anything it's more towards the front cylinder?.. I've got the std 5 rated plugs in.. and they are nearly new, so why the difference.. any ideas?
any help appreciated...

Also... I've picked up a dynajet kit from the parts shop.. mine is a 89 FXR with a CV carb fitted... the kit I've been sold is 8105.007 and it says 96-03 XL (MU)... is this the right kit?.. I pointed it out to the guy in the shop and he said it was fine...looking on the site now, I think 8102.004 is more for mine? just want to double check before potentially adding to my problems Many thanks in advance

tomfiii

Sounds like manifold leak to front cylinder, Evo's don't like straight pipes unless you use baffle or tuning bolt in pipe. I would start with low speed jet change ,drill and pop out plug to access idle mixture screw and check main jet in case it is a 1.65  and start with a 1.70 or 1.75  .

1340evo

yes.. the screw is 6 turns out... only thing with the HD jets, there is no ID on them at all?..... how big does the bolt have to be?

Its not leaking or the easy start (etha) would have shown it... I squirted it all around the inlet, but did nothing to RPM....

mr. pitts

Quote from: 1340evo on September 11, 2016, 10:50:16 AM
yes.. the screw is 6 turns out... only thing with the HD jets, there is no ID on them at all?..... how big does the bolt have to be?

Its not leaking or the easy start (etha) would have shown it... I squirted it all around the inlet, but did nothing to RPM....
There is a video on the S&S website which will explin all about the bolt sizes you are trying to find. They make a sort of lollipop shape thing that goes into the end of the pipe, & is tuneable to give back pressure. HTH. :chop:

michael133

big city thunder,makes a 5in. baffle with a lolly pop in it.    helped my 86 fxstc with a super e and long shots with out original baffels.......ok

yankee dog

Don't use the dyno jet, don't drill the slide... Go back to basics, replace manifold gaskets, 45 slow jet and 175 main for starters. Keihin jets will have a number on them. Keihin and dyno jet don't mix and match. What slide needle do you have?

Check float level, is the emulsion tube clean? Install eye bolts (called Loli-pops) in the exhaust for some back pressure. Six turns out on the idle screw is too much. You need a larger slow/idle jet at least. YD
94 FXDS, EVL3010, Cycle Shack slip ons, Wiseco 8.5:1, .035 squish, ultima ign.

1340evo

Thanks for that guy's... Have had a quick look at the S&S video.. will watch it again tonight with the sound up!... looks interesting... Lolipop it is then.. I'll get some made ....

I read a lot of negative posts from the US about Dynojet... are they not liked out there?...

1340evo

Hi.. no numbers on the jets or needle?.. its all std fit for HD so no identification.. Thats why I thought Dinojet.. at least I know what things are...
Wonder if I can but the seperate jets / needle here in the UK?

mr. pitts

Quote from: 1340evo on September 12, 2016, 05:10:40 AM
Hi.. no numbers on the jets or needle?.. its all std fit for HD so no identification.. Thats why I thought Dinojet.. at least I know what things are...
Yes, you can buy a needle & jets in our mother country, they come together as a sort of tuning pack. Have a look on ebay uk. Dynojet are not particularly like here either. The kits I mentioned fit the carb. D/jet jets have a different thread & will not fit the stock emulsion tube. :scoot:

mr. pitts

Quote from: 1340evo on September 12, 2016, 05:10:40 AM
Yankee dog's advice is spot-on. CAREFULLY remove the floatbowl screws, they are made of cheese & will deform instantly. Replace them with 3mm allen head bolts. Cleanout all your present jets & the emulsion tube & try again. If you use the allen bolts, you van change jets with the carb in situ. With the engine at hot idle, spray WD-40 on the inlet manifold joints. If they're leaking, the exhaust will blow black smoke. Good hunting. :oil:

1340evo

Yes.. just had a look on E-bay... lots of people selling bits.. no one in the UK selling the kit... Do you know of a good place I could call to discuss....  :teeth:

This may also sound like a daft question.. but I'll try the thumb screw in the drag pipes, ... they are  40" long and I have removable baffles... but the hole for the screw is 6" from the end... do you think this far in will be okay.. or do they need to be 2" from the end?

tomfiii

Quote from: 1340evo on September 11, 2016, 10:50:16 AM

Look for smoke at pipe as many times it WILL NOT speed up!

1340evo

Quote from: michael133 on September 12, 2016, 04:26:48 AM
big city thunder,makes a 5in. baffle with a lolly pop in it.    helped my 86 fxstc with a super e and long shots with out original baffels.......ok

Yes... thanks.. just looked at these... can't quite see what's in there but it looks like a washer as a lolipop...

Marcus63

Hi 1340 CVO

I recently bought my 1990 FXRS CON and went on a 2K mile roundtrip with it without probs to start.
Open aftermarket exhaust and K&N airfilter. I have put "lollypops" in the mufflers to get som backpressure and better respons low down 2K-3K revs.
After a couple of days it started holding back a bit when riding a steady pace (50 mph) with appr. 1/8-1/4 throttle.

Because I didn't have the time to check out the fuel system before my vacation it was all in untouched state.
After my vacation I stripped and ultrasonically cleaned the carb and replaced all rubbers in it and of course the intake manifold rubber ring gasket.
I was thinking the cause of the surging and holding back was an air leak from the manifold gasket.

When I put the whole thing back together I could not get it dialed in again properly which was surprising........ :oops:

I started investigating and bought some extra stock pilot and main jets to have a range ready for additional tuning.
Original setting:
Pilot or slow jet 42 (stock)
Main jet 160
Mixture screw 4.5 turns out

After reading a lot online and checking the manual I knew that the 160 main jet should be way too small and the mixture screw 4,5 turns out should be too much.
So I tried to replace the main jet with a 175 stock one but this did not fit (too wide and coarser thread). Someone had been tinkering with the emulsion tube, needle and main jet  :wtf:

This carb wasn't stock at all !!

After a lot of searching things became clear: a Dynajet kit 8105.007 was installed apparently.

Because the (stock) bike doesn't run good until now I guess I have two options:

1. Stay with Dynajet kit
Try one larger pilot (45) to see if this cures the 4.5 turns of the mixture screw (should be no more than 2.5 to 3 turns out)
Try the (stock) main Dyno jet which had to be in there in the first place: 170
Set the Dyno needle @ third clip and put the washers on top of it

2. Restore the CV carb to original state
Try the 42 of 45 pilot
Put in the original emulsion tube (which HD part is this?)
Use a stock Keihin main jet of at least 175 (and probably a 180 or even 185)
Put the original needle in without clips (which HD part is this ?) or
Use the N65C sportster needle I have laying around.

Cheers

Marcus
Netherlands

Marcus63

@ mr. Pitts

Check here for a local dealer:

http://www.dynojet.com/distributors/default.aspx

My dealer in the Netherlands sells single parts also for reasonable prices. I ordered a DJ 170 for my option 1...see my post above.

Cheers

Marcus

mr. pitts

Quote from: 1340evo on September 12, 2016, 08:16:33 AM
Yes.. just had a look on E-bay... lots of people selling bits.. no one in the UK selling the kit... Do you know of a good place I could call to discuss....  :teeth:

This may also sound like a daft question.. but I'll try the thumb screw in the drag pipes, ... they are  40" long and I have removable baffles... but the hole for the screw is 6" from the end... do you think this far in will be okay.. or do they need to be 2" from the end?
Watch the video on the S&S website, & do what they tell ya. I got my kit form Custom Cruisers in Alfreton, Derbyshire. Yes, they have a website. If you post your problems on the HDRCGB website in the uk, you may get a more local answer. I did. :chop:

1340evo

Thanks all... Made some lollipops and put them in tonight.. they are in 6" from the end but only because that was where my holes are... Do you think this will be okay... I know S&S vid says 2"... but maybe this is for ease of fitting as 6" in takes some doing .....

I'll try the guy's in Derbyshire tomorrow.... see what they advise....

Then make a call on which way to go....

Interesting the S&S video saying that making it leaner worked with the drags... leaner from what they didn't say...

Marcus.. what size are your pipes?... and how big's your lollipop

yankee dog

CV Performance is here in the states, but they will ship to you...

Bring the carb back to stock parts using the jet sizes mentioned. That includes a new emulsion tube that will accept factory jets. Dyno jet has like 2 holes for the emulsion tube and only their jets will fit it. CVP has like 10 holes (like the original) and accepts stock jet threads.

If you have trouble getting parts shipped to you, I can get them and ship them to you. I only ask you cover the costs, I am not looking to be compensated for my time. Just trying to help a fellow rider, ...but again CVP will ship to you from the states.

They have everything you need to get your carb squared away. YD

1340evo

Quote from: yankee dog on September 12, 2016, 05:06:28 AM
Don't use the dyno jet, don't drill the slide... Go back to basics, replace manifold gaskets, 45 slow jet and 175 main for starters. Keihin jets will have a number on them. Keihin and dyno jet don't mix and match. What slide needle do you have?

Check float level, is the emulsion tube clean? Install eye bolts (called Loli-pops) in the exhaust for some back pressure. Six turns out on the idle screw is too much. You need a larger slow/idle jet at least. YD

so 175 Keihin size.. that must be 158 dynojet size?....

1340evo

Quote from: yankee dog on September 15, 2016, 02:46:25 AM
CV Performance is here in the states, but they will ship to you...

Bring the carb back to stock parts using the jet sizes mentioned. That includes a new emulsion tube that will accept factory jets. Dyno jet has like 2 holes for the emulsion tube and only their jets will fit it. CVP has like 10 holes (like the original) and accepts stock jet threads.

If you have trouble getting parts shipped to you, I can get them and ship them to you. I only ask you cover the costs, I am not looking to be compensated for my time. Just trying to help a fellow rider, ...but again CVP will ship to you from the states.

They have everything you need to get your carb squared away. YD

Thank you very much for your offer  its appreciated.. but I'm sure I can get the bits here if I know what I need... The Dynajet and Kiehen sizes are not the same.. for example

Hole Dia"  Keihin       DynoJet         Mikuni
0.0630---- 162.5------- 148--------- 138.8

So are we talking Keihin sizes here?.. I guess we are.... its just when people quote 175.. what system are they on?.. anyway.. will sort it.. cheers...

koko3052

When 175 is quoted that is Kiehen size
As suggested before GET RID OF THAT DINO JET KIT, they are nothing but a PIA!

You can use epoxy to fill the drilled hole in the vac slide & then redrill the standard size.

mr. pitts

If you have a Keihin carb with a Keihin emulsion tube, then you will need keihin jets to fit it. DJ & Keihin jets have diff threads & are not interchangeable. Try a 45 idle jet & a 185 main jet. Yes these are keihin jet sizes. Capiche? You should be able to get jets from any place in the UK that stocks stuff from Custom Chrome, Zodiac etc. They ARE available on ebay uk. :kick:

1340evo

OK.. cheers chaps... been out tuning my exhaust tonight.. I've got a strong bottom end now and it just starts to go off at the very top end (a 6mm bolt with two nuts under the head in each pipe... the lolipops didn't work... to big I guess for 1 3/4 pipes)). clutch slipping now... poor thing has never had this much torque LOL...

The slide is not drilled... so will be fine....

And I know a guy local who has the jets... so will trip over this weekend... get it back to at least a known set up :)

yankee dog

Emulsion tube, slide needle, and main jet need to be either all Harley (cvp) or all dynojet. The two different brands are not interchangeable.

Another common overlooked item is the needle jet. It can get lost when carb is taken apart, or installed upside down, or get worn. Look it up on the CVP website if your not sure what it is.

Get a new emulsion tube, main jets, slow (pilot or idle) jets, needle jet, and slide needle from CVP. They have a N65 type needle tailored for the 1340 engine.

Once you get all that in your carb, and along with a good cleaning, you should be all set. YD

jbexeter