May 02, 2024, 02:40:17 PM

News:

Observations today

Started by eddfive, September 12, 2016, 09:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddfive

The stock cross over pipe has an "s" shape as it leaves to go under the bike, hopefully the aftermarket exhaust guys fix that. The spark plugs on top that require the tank to be lifted or taken off requires a special tool to remove the boot. Should be fun.

eddfive

view of rear spark plug. Dealer did not have special tool yet.

PoorUB

The sparkplug tool is no big deal. It is just a boot puller so the Neanderthals out there don't yank the wire off and rip it out of the boot.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Breeze

People are worrying about that damn spark plug, like they are riding pre mix two strokes.  I change my plugs when they get corroded and crappy looking on the outside. Never notice any change in mpg or performance.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

rbabos

Well, if they don't have the tool yet, I guess they will be taking chunks out of the boot with needle nose pliers and marking the chrome up while at it. It really isn't needed but does make life a tad easier.
Ron

JC 92FXRS

Quote from: Breeze on September 12, 2016, 10:22:44 AM
People are worrying about that damn spark plug, like they are riding pre mix two strokes.  I change my plugs when they get corroded and crappy looking on the outside. Never notice any change in mpg or performance.

I agree, and if they're using plugs like what's in automobiles now (Iridium or Platinum) they'll be good for 60K plus anyway.
Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

PoorUB

With my 2010 I ran the sparkplugs to 45,000 miles. I looked at them at 30,000 miles and they looked great, but at 45k the wear on them was obvious, so I will run them to 30k then change them. At that rate about 75℅ of the riders out there will never need to change them. I have no clue why anyone would swap them out every year!

rbabos

Quote from: JC 92FXRS on September 12, 2016, 10:26:56 AM
Quote from: Breeze on September 12, 2016, 10:22:44 AM

I agree, and if they're using plugs like what's in automobiles now (Iridium or Platinum) they'll be good for 60K plus anyway.
Jeff
They won't if they start up with a big blue cloud of smoke each time. :hyst:
Ron

Tattoo

we got our specialty tools weeks ago.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

HV

Same here got the SPECIAL Tool a wile back.....Im sure most have them now
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

glens

Maybe the mention above of not having them yet was "not having them for sale yet"?

Tattoo

The specialty tools are issued to dealers and are not for sale.

HV

The SPECIAL Plug tool is available from Snapon
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Latrobedyna

Quote from: Tattoo on September 12, 2016, 05:49:30 PM

Well that bites  :emoGroan:
2006 FXDB , 95" 57H +4% cam, 10:25 pistons: Ported head's. Lots a fun

Tattoo

You can get some of them aftermarket and has mentioned on the Tool Truck.

Templer

the "special" plug tool should also be used on the TC per the diagnostics manual as not to pull the wire away from the metal end. This can cause a higher resistance in the wire mucking up the ion sense for ping. They have a set range: min and max resistance per the book and can cause undue retard in timing. But tell me how many read the manual??  :kick:

PoorUB

HD is not the only place to buy special tools, especially something as simple as a spark plug boot puller.

Herko

Some dealers will work with you and sell to Indys the forbidden (Kent Moore) tools.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Tattoo

Quote from: PoorUB on September 12, 2016, 08:30:47 PM

HD is not the only place to buy special tools, especially something as simple as a spark plug boot puller.

as I stated in post #14  :up:

Templer

IDEA!! Yes I took a aspirin!!! What if you use the same plug grease (dielectric type) that I still use on my car AND on my bike plug wires? H2o tight and easy removal? I crack myself up with ideas!!!!  :scratch:

Rokinrider

Bmw boxer twins use a plug wire tool, by the time we need it they will be on Amazon and EBay
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?