May 06, 2024, 04:56:13 AM

News:

Radio Adapter HUA36D...

Started by CndUltra88, September 16, 2016, 11:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CndUltra88

So, I have the Alloy Art braces installed and it got me to thinking I need ok want to change out my stereo (stock) on the Ultra.
I do not use the CB anyways so it is pretty simple or so I thought... remember I like to fix things till they break ;)

So, got the Hawg Wired adapter from a Canadian retailer and was told it was straight forward, got the Service book out and followed some schematics and made notes.
Got the wires figured out for the speakers front and rear and also followed the directions for the HW and the radio.

So, I go to the stereo and there is an orange wire that goes to to instrument cluster for power ??
I have a call into the retailer and awaiting the return call, but thought I would try and gather more information here as well.

Question is can the orange wire go to the power connector (ignition) on the Hawg Wired unit for the illumination of the Deck??

The deck is an Alpine ute 4200bt for those interested..

Thanks for any and all insight.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

UltraNutZ

Rob, the orange wire is for illumination purposes.  So when it's hooked up and power applied to that wire, the display on the radio will dim.  This is great, at night however creates an issue during the day because the display is so dim you can not read it.

I never connect them unless the owner absolutely must have it connected and then I guarantee the few that have wanted it called me later on asking how to take it off.  :-)

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

CndUltra88

Ok, I think I got it understood now.
Thanks for the clarification on this UltraNutz !!
Much appreciate it.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

UltraNutZ

if you want, when you get the radio installed and ready to go.  turn the ignition on, and look at the display and how bright it is.  then take that orange wire and touch it to something like your cig lighter orange wire and see what the display does.

These were really designed for autos where you have automatic headlamps that come on at dusk and also illuminates everything on the dash.  At that point you probably want it to dim.  But on these bikes, the illumination of the gauges is on all the time so therefore the dim feature would be on all the time as well making it nearly impossible to see the display during the day.  At night it won't be an issue.

CndUltra88

Thanks again UltraNutZ for the explanations.

I spent a couple hours fiddling with and lining up the AlloyArt parts and the custom piece to mount the radio to and then to the AA brackets.

Got 7 of the eight screws in and it appears to be pretty firmly attached.

I was getting ready to start cutting and soldering some speaker wires, but was stymied by the two wire bundles that came off of the Radio/CB unit from the factory.

The wired bundles connected to the Unit from Hawg Wired controller and that is installed on the radio bracket as well.
Question being are the speaker wires in that bundle or are they from the other bundle.
The other bundle being the grey connector  27a from the schematics on pgB-43 or the black connector bundled and numbered 28A for the ultra only ??

I have the wire colors and such, but do not want to start cutting the wrong bundle of wires.

Rob
Infantryman Terry Street

UltraNutZ

looking at the back of the stock radio, the plug on the left is all your power and your front speakers as well as handlebar controls, speaker selector switch, etc.  the plug on the right is everything for the rear of the bike including speakers, rear passenger controls, the headset plugs, etc.